Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download HijackThis at all?HELP

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
gerryf.....IT WORKED!!! I now have a saved HJT log. Too cool. I don't know exactly how you figured that out but I truly appreciate it. I will post my log in a little bit and would appreciate your input about it. Thank you so very much!!!

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi markedmanner and thanks for the input. No, that didn't work. So how can I check to see why my realplayer is set to open zip files? This makes no sense to me. gerryf got me going though. I have my hjt log file now and will post it shortly. Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please post hijackthis logs in the malware forum...a link can be found in my signature

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Will do....gotta run some errands, then will post. Looking forward to your reply when I do. Thanks again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw---kudos to markedmanner who has it right...your associations are messed up (among other things).

In addition to whatever the malware teams finds, you are going to need to fix those...if it is just zip files that are acting odd....open winzip through your start men, choose OPTIONS > CONFIGURATION, then go to the SYSTEM TAB, choose ASSOCIATE WITH WINZIP ARCHIVES, then OK.

If it is already checked, uncheck it, click OK, close winzip and then open it again and repeat the above, to check it.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
And guess what I just found out???? Winzip is NOT on my computer. I couldn't find it under the START menu, nor under my program files. Maybe that's why I had a hard time getting to this deal. But, if I don't have Winzip, then what is opening other files I have downloaded? Now I'm really confused.....Oh, I also did a search for Winzip....nothing found

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Posted my hjt log in the malware forum. please help check me out. Thanks

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
OK, so why is realplayer coming up every time I try to open HJT and how can I fix it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is coming up because LOG files must also be associated with realplayer.

Here's what you need to do:

Open MY COMPUTER, choose VIEW > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW< and uncheck HIDE KNOWN FILE EXTENSIONS

Right click the desktop, choose NEW > TEXT DOCUMENT

name the file test.log

hold down the shift key, right click it, choose OPEN WITH, choose NOTEPAD and check ALWAYS OPEN THESE TYPES WITH THIS PROGRAM

Now run hijackthis

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I got down to putting the test.log icon on the desktop but when I right click on it with shift key down all I get is a box that has the following:

Active Desktop
Arrange Icons
Line Up Icons
Refresh
Undo Rename
New
Properties

Nothing came up that offered me the option of open with????

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
And nothing under any of these headings offered an OPEN WITH option

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just to be on the safe side, select the LOG file first...when it is highlighted, then RIGHT CLICK while holding the SHIFT key down SIMULTANEOUSLY

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
That worked. Now do I post the new HJT log on the other forum?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
press scan and save log button, then cut and paste it there

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Posting it now! Thanks