Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Failed

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
One of my data storage hard drive started making a clicking noise at regular intervals. The possibility of hard drive failure hadn't occured to me untill after I restarted to see if that would help and Windows couldn't find the drive. Anyway, is there a way to salvage the data or the hard drive; or am I in the market for a new one?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drive has suffered a mechanical failure it's future is destined only for the scrap yard or use as a door stop. Chances of getting data off it become slim if not impossible (and painfully expensive with no guarantees). Far quicker and cheaper to replace it.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thanks for the info, I pretty much knew the answer already but just wanted to confirm.