Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apache Web Server

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everybody,

I'm playing around with an Apache Web Server and one of the things that I need to do is to make sure that Apache is running under its own user account and group... I understand that several apache installations have it run as the user 'nobody'.

I guess that my question here is "where the heck do I look to see how mine is set to run?" I'm not sure but I think that I''m looking for something that is supposed to look kinda like this -->

User apache
Group apache <--

I've ran through the httpd file, from top to bottom, several times and haven't seen anything that looked like that or used the name 'nobody' either. If anyone can point me at the right place to look I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wendy

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For offline testing for your own use on your own computer this doesn't really matter what its running at as long as it'll do with your web pages and/or scripts what you want them to do.

The User/Group settings are only used to restrict access to documents and folders if you log in online. It uses special files that have no effect when you're running Apache on Windows.