Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard-drive, Is Firmware Upgrade Required?

• Please log in to reply

Big-Vern

Big-Vern

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello guys.

I have recently bought an external hard-drive, mainly to store my back-up files. However the unit arrived with a note from the supplier saying I needed to download a firmware upgrade in order to operate the unit in Vista. I have found this not to be the case. I plugged the unit in, did an on-line scan for available upgrades and found that my PC instantly recognised the unit. I then transferred my files without a hitch and it has even ran a scheduled back-up, no probs. My question to you more knowledgeable folk then is: should I persevere in downloading the firmware upgrade as suggested or file the action under "if it aint broke.."? Thanks very much.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The latter, Big-Vern -- don't mess with firmware on anything if it's working okay as it is.

Big-Vern

Big-Vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks very much for that advise pip22, duly noted and actioned (or not as the case may be) I shall leave things as they are.