Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with webcam and external harddisk

• Please log in to reply

tychobarnard

tychobarnard

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
ellew everybody,

i've got a problem with my webcam and external hard-disk. I recently bought a new webcam, a trust Megapixel USB2 Webcam Live WB-5400. I already had an external HD, an Iomega Value 500gb.

Here's the problem:
When my harddisk is connected and turned on, and i plug in my webcam, the HD stops working and windows says that it's not working properly. Well duh, but anyways. When my webcam is connected, and i turn on my HD, it doesn't work. When my webcam is unplugged, my HD works normally.

I tried contacting the support of both companies (trust as well as iomega). Nothing useful came out. Trust support sayd it might be a problem with the USB-hub, but i checked my hardware and apparently i have one root-hub, with 10 usbports.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E670 @ 2.66 GHz 2,66GHz
RAM 3326MB

So is there anyone out there who knows what to do?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could be there's not sufficient power on the internal USB hub to 'drive' both the webcam and external disk both together. You can rectify that by purchasing an external USB2 hub (with it's own USB2 ports) which plugs into the mains supply. Plug your external hub into the mains and into a free USB port on the PC. Now you can run your webcam from one of the new ports on the mains-powered hub. Just make sure the USB hub you buy comes with a mains adaptor to give the hub mains power. Most, but not all of them, are supplied with one.

Edited by pip22, 29 October 2007 - 12:58 PM.

tychobarnard

tychobarnard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
umm, just to be sure i am following u:

does this external usb2 hub need power? like with an adapter and stuff? Is that what you mean by "not enough power"?

thanks for your reply!