Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cable Internet Not Working on Laptop

• Please log in to reply

brandonbird

brandonbird

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
I have a Dell laptop (about 4 years old) running Windows XP on it and cannot get the internet connection to work. A couple of months ago I reformatted because (I think) there was some sort of virus or spyware that I had. The system is running fine now with the exception of the internet connection. I'm pretty sure I got everything I need back on, but I might be missing something. It should also be noted that the internet was working fine before the reformat. I'm using Comcast high speed internet and the connection is fine on my desktop which also runs XP, but won't work on my laptop. I don't have a router, I just unplug the ethernet cable from my desktop and plug it into my laptop. I've tried to troubleshoot as much as I can and this is what I've found: 1394 Net Adapter the connection is Enabled, and the Status is Connected. There is no activity (sent or received). All of the TCP/IP information is unavailable (i.e. the address type, IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway). The TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain IP and DNS server addresses. Under the "advanced" part of the settings under IP Address it says DHCP enabled. NetBios is set to default. Under device status (for the driver) it lists the location C:Windows\System32\Drivers\nic\1394.sys. When I try to repair the connection it says "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of connection." When I run ipconfig "Windows IP Configuration" comes up, but nothing else. When I ping 127.0.0.1 it sends 4 packets, receives 4 packets all with <1 ms round trip times. Also, it appears that the port is working...whenever I plug in the cable, the orange light turns on. Thank you for your help.

Edited by brandonbird, 30 October 2007 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
127.0.0.1 is your own computer. If it doesn't receive packets from that address, you have major issues :)

1394 connection is firewire, not your cable internet connection. You should have another LAN/Local Area Connection icon in the Network Connections box. If not, and you know it was there before you wiped the machine, you should take a trip to Dell's site and download the network driver for your laptops' network port.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

brandonbird

brandonbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I see several yellow ? !. They are all under other devices: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I'm going to try downloading the network driver from Dell as suggested above and I will reply ASAP.

brandonbird

brandonbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I downloaded drivers from Dell...and now it IS WORKING!!! You guys are amazing. Thanks!