Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Bad Windows, maybe HDD issue!

• Please log in to reply

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, before deciding to post here, ive tried everything i know to fix this, but everything failed. Also, im not sure if this belongs to the Windows XP forum or the Hardware one.

Any time when i try to boot, whether in normal, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc, the computer will just reboot before anything is loaded. A BSoD shows up for half a second when booting in normal mode, and when booting in safe mode, it just stops at the file Mup.sys, and reboots 3 seconds after. It doesn't say if i want to skip this file, it just stops. If i'd leave it it'd be an infinite loop. When i tried to use the Windows Repair function, it told me my 160 GB HDD is completely empty to the last MB, which is complete nonsense. In reality i got just about 30 GB free. When i select the HDD, it will say the partition is damaged, too full, or something else and I have to format. I dont want to try to format the drive yet. Also, the Recovery Console, or whatever, doesnt seem to accept any password, not even nothing. I dont want to lose all the data. I tried taking the jumper out and trying all that, but still it wont work. Well, the HDD cant be broken, cos in the LiveCD Linux im using at the moment i can normally access the drive, browse all folders, etc, and adding to that it's barely 5 months old! It's a 160 GB Samsung drive.

I have to say i had such a problem very similar to this a few months before as well, but i had a logical explanation for that one: It was a Hitachi Deskstar. It was the same problem except when it got stuck the hard drive started making weird 'click click click' noises, and the current one doesnt. Also, in safe mode it got stuck loading smtp.sys and asked me if i wanted to abort loading, which also caused a reboot. Adding to that i could see the Deskstar Drive only half of the time on Linux. With the Deskstar, I couldnt even format. The full format process would finish in 15 seconds and it'd say the HDD is broken or so. I just rescued all the data off the Deskstar and then threw it away. I DON'T want to have to to that again!

Please! Help me fix this problem!

Regards,
Chekov.

Advertisements

Danawar

Danawar

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Does this happen before or after the xp loading screen comes up?

Chekov

Chekov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After the loading screen comes up. Its like this:
Start > Boot in normal mode > Loading screen > Bluescreen of Death for half a second > reboot > back to start

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer works well with Linux then it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. It could be a corrupted windows. To test your HD download Hutil 210 from this link. Use the .exe file to create a bootable diskette or download the zipped .iso file and burn it to create a bootable cd. Run the utility to test your HD.

Chekov

Chekov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have downloaded the .iso, burned it, and booted. In HDD info it also told me that my 90% full HDD is completely empty (Linux saw the truth: 32.8 GB free). Then I ran the self diagnostic. In it, i ran a full scan of the hard drive, and at around 85% of the 'Full Range Scan' or something, (sry for my bad memory) it discovered this:

C:65530 H:1 S:256 Error: Ecc Error

When it finally finished it advised me to use Erase HDD and format the drive, and then go and run the self diagnostic again. I already backed up all important data, so I just formatted it using HUTIL. I haven't gotten around to running the 2 hour long self diagnostic again though. Im gonna do that 2moro and post the results here... But does this mean that my HDD is broken? I just dont understand how this is possible.

Regards,
Chekov

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Not ncecessarilly. Run the test again after format and see what happens.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I'm having exactly the same problem this guy is having. I managed to take two photos with my digital camera of the disappearing BSoD, though. Would you like me to post them here? Maybe the STOP code will help or something? I really don't want to wipe my HDD. There's stuff in there I want.

-jaimejd007

P.S: When I say I have the exact same problem, I MEAN the exact same problem. I even boot into the computer with a Linux LiveCD and it works just fine. I can see all of my files inside my HDD and everything

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi jaimejd007.

Please start a new topic with your problem. It's very confusing to work with two cases under the same thread.