Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Open TAR_ files

• Please log in to reply

PhaserX

PhaserX

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, i got this file with the extension TAR_ i tried opening it with so mny different zippy programs and it wudnt budge... help me pls >_<

programs i tried ......winace... 7 zip....Alpha zip....nutttins workin ..T_T .... :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
TAR files are generally linux archives...windows based programs generally won't open them

what is in the Tar file that you're wanting to open? where did you get it from?

PhaserX

PhaserX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its a game i got off irc...so there isnt any way to open it :) ..

gc43

gc43

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm, there should be wome windows programs that'll do that for you even though they are generally used on linux. I thought 7 zip worked for me, but you said it doesn't.. keep searching I know its possible :-)

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Is it a .TAR file or a .TAR_ file? Because IIRC, the file extension of Microsoft's proprietary compressing algorithm or whatever ends with an underscore.

Either way, I don't know if this will work but try WinRAR. If neither WinRAR nor 7zip work, then maybe the problem is your file. 7zip uncompresses .TAR files just fine for me.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Edited by jaimejd007, 06 November 2007 - 12:46 AM.

PhaserX

PhaserX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ya its TAR_ .... and i tried every dam thing out ther loool...toook soo much time..and yet the same results....even if i did when i use winrar it says sumtin like corupted blah blah..weird stuff >_< ....

thanks tho :)

cheers
vikka