Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maximum RAM Vista can handle?

• Please log in to reply

Cthulhu_Aeon

Cthulhu_Aeon

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a loptop that I will plan on upgrading when I get to repairing laptops in my IT course. I was wondering what the maximum amount of RAM that Vista can handle so I can plan from there. Thanks for the help. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the OS is irrelevant in this equation....ANY 32bit system has a maximum 4GB limit on ram...this has to do with the way memory addressing takes place....however the OS won't neccessarily see the full 4GB....a portion (determined by each system) is always reserved for the system and won't be shown in windows....in a 64bit system this is not the case...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As stated, all 32-bit Windows will only see 4Gb, end of.
64-bit Windows can see up to 128Gb, but this depends on which version of 64-bit Vista you buy. Ultimate will see up to 128Gb, Home Premium only 8Gb.

Cthulhu_Aeon

Cthulhu_Aeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah thank you. :) That helps out a lot.