Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driving me nuts...

• Please log in to reply

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have 2 computers with ATI Radeon AGP video cards, both work just fine. One card is a Radeon 9800 Pro on an ECS Intel motherboard and the other is a Radeon 9700 Pro on an Asus AMD motherboard both computers use the latest video drivers from ATI.

Now, I want to use the 9800 Pro in the computer that currently has the 9700 Pro, but when I exchange the 9800 card for the 9700 card there is NO video signal. I've checked the bios for the correct AGP VGA setting, that didn't help. I put the 9800 Pro back on the ECS mobo and it works OK.

I know there is a simple explanation for this, but it's beyond me. :)

Edited by dlcampbe, 30 October 2007 - 12:26 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will need to uninstall the 9700 video drivers and install the 9800 video drivers for the 9800 card to work. This does not just happen to ATI video cards. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to reinstall windows. I have had quite a few computer's brought to me to reinstall windows after customers have switched to a newer Nvidia card without uninstalling the old video drivers. It seems that Nvidia will crash the computer when you do that, and it ends up either continously rebooting or just crashing to a blue screen.

SRX660

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You will need to uninstall the 9700 video drivers and install the 9800 video drivers for the 9800 card to work. This does not just happen to ATI video cards. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to reinstall windows. I have had quite a few computer's brought to me to reinstall windows after customers have switched to a newer Nvidia card without uninstalling the old video drivers. It seems that Nvidia will crash the computer when you do that, and it ends up either continously rebooting or just crashing to a blue screen.

SRX660

Thanks for your reply.

I did, however, uninstall the 9700 video drivers before the swap. When I tried to restart there was no video signal prior to post, no beep, nothing.

I did not mention that the computer that originally had the 9800 has a 400W PSU, the one I'm trying to install the 9800 in has only a 380W PSU.

Guess I'll have to switch PSUs also. :)

duncan

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I switched PSUs, the 9800 still will not post. I also put the 9700 in the other computer without changing the ATI drivers and it booted right in to Windows.

Go figure?