Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Time to Reformat

• Please log in to reply

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello
I have winXP on my system and I have a virus (flec006 I believe). I tried to run my antivirus in safe mode, but I can't get into safe mode. It just keeps rebooting

I read in a help site to change my mscofig boot.ini to boot into safe mode....well, to make a long story short, I can't even boot into windows anymore. It just keeps rebooting.

My question is...can I change this setting in anyway, or somehow get my computer to just go into safe mode?

Otherwise, I need to reformat.

Thanks

Mike in St. Louis

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Instead of reformatting/re-installing, you might first want to try doing a repair install using the XP CD. It will replace any damaged or missing system files. http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Do you think that I can at least get into safe mode by doing this? Then I could change that boot.ini command to boot normall?
Thanks

mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
That was not a good idea. The Repair mode won't boot into safe mode.
I have to now reformat.
Please, don't make that recommendation in the future.

Thanks anyway.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You don't boot to safe mode when you do a repair install.... You boot from the cd and tell it to repair the installation ( if the installation isn't so damaged that it won't detect it. ) And just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont' work for someone else so there is no reason not to recommend it in the future.