Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this work?

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, I'm about to buy this: http://www.ncix.com/...x.php?sku=18288

Just wondering if this will be compatible with my current system, after removing my old RAM of course.

Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard
CPU: Pentium 4 Dual Core 2.8 GHz
Memory: 1GB PC2-3200 DDR2 RAM
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Sound Card: Intel Hi-Def Audio 7.1

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks for the help!

Edited by gambLe1109, 30 October 2007 - 01:53 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the NCIX website it is compatible, but it will default to the highest rating your motherboard will run. This will be the DDR2-667 rating( according to Intel's 945 MB specification sheet).

SRX660

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Is it still worth purchasing? I know it will downgrade a little bit, but will the jump from 1GB of PC2-3200 to 2GB of PC2-6400 make a big difference?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well it could make a noticeable difference, BUT it may not. The reason i say this is that i have 2 computers that are closely matched. One is a Intel early 3.0 CPU with the 478 pin socket, while the other is a socket 775 intel 3.2. The motherboards are pretty much matching with a 865 chipset on the 478 MB and a 945 chipset on the 775 MB. They both run XP, have 2 gigs of memory( 3200 on the 478 and 5300 on the 775) Same video cards, sound cards, and basic hardware. Funny thing is i can't tell the difference between the two computers when i run any programs. They both have almost exactly the same programs on them. And they both seem to run at the same speed. The only thing i can think of that would be a problem with the older computer is finding the motherboard again, or even the cpu. Otherwise they run the same speed to me. Perhaps if i was playing games i would notice the difference. For general computing , i don't.

I might settle for another gig of memory of the 3200 variety and save for a new computer in another year or two. By then DDR3 will be out and the DDR2 memory will be obsolete already.

SRX660

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I agree with SRX660 here, it may or may not increase, depending on what you use your computer for. If you do a lot of multi-tasking, I think you would notice a difference. Adding more RAM doesn't increase performance like upgrading the processor would, I find it just lets you do more at once (i.e. anti-virus scan, e-mail, a few webbrowser tabs open, copying files/folders - all at the same time).

The good news is if you build a new system soon (next few months or so), then you'll be able to use this RAM again, as it's good stuff.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Generally, I do a lot of gaming, not necessarily multi-tasking, although I like to listen to music while I play sometimes. I figure upgrading my RAM will make my games run more smoothly and decrease the bottle-neck that I feel may be happening to my graphics card due to the RAM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Welcome to geekstogo,
By upgrading you RAM you are going to witness a minimal gain is FPS on games.
Your GPU would likely be the largest bottleneck in terms of gaming, with the CPU following closely behind.
Buying this would give you a far greater performance boost in games for the same price :) Assuming your motherboard has a PCIe slot.
http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1016
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 November 2007 - 02:24 PM.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well, I was planning on upgrading my video card too. This is the one I was going to get: http://www.ncix.com/...anufacture=eVGA

Would you recommend the 7900GS over the 7600GT? I know a few people with the 7600GT that play the same games as me and they get great FPS.
I play mostly Counter-Strike 1.6 if you're wondering.

Edited by gambLe1109, 02 November 2007 - 06:39 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes the 7900GS is significantly better then the 7600GT, though the differences will be minimal on older games such as CSS.
James