Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Search

• Please log in to reply

Phredie

Phredie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I go to; Start, Search, the area above the little dog is blank. I am unable to use the Windows XP Professional search cababilities on all five of my users, Administror, Users #1, #2, #3, and #4. I have read and followed Malware Cleaning Guide. After the AVG anti-spyware scan in the safe mode I tried to save the report and received a "No Report Available" message. I was also unable to run the Online - Panda Activescan. I would click on the "Scan Now" button and nothing would happen. Prior to following the Malware Cleaning Guide I have tried several of the steps posted on several sites but to no avail. I hope someone will be able to help. Phredie

__

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   32.91KB   105 downloads

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sorry Phreddie, but HijackThis logs must only be posted here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

This is to ensure you get sound advice only from trained malware staff who know how to read the logs.

Anyhow, your problem may not be malware related (note, I said 'may' not).
Read this Microsoft page : http://support.micro...om/?kbid=831430

Phredie

Phredie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pip22

Thanks for your help. I have not yet been able to correct my problem. When I follow the first set of instructions given at the Microsoft link that you provided, I am able to use the search feature as user #4. It does not work when I'm logged on as the Administrator (me.). When I use the first set of instructions, as the Administrator, I receive the following message, "DllRegister Server in jscript.dll failed. Return code wa 0X8004005". The same is true for the vbscript.dll. When I then follow the second set of instruction at the Mcrosoft link, I can not find the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32. The second key: ...{414c261.... is there but not the first one. The first one is there when I log in as user #4. I'm unsure as to what I should do. Do I create the key or locate it somewhere such as the xp cd?

I appreciate your help.

Phredie