Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bluetooth and S-Video not recognized by computer.

• Please log in to reply

frostygt2

frostygt2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My HP dv1340us laptop recently went in to warranty service after the motherboard failed. It was replaced and the laptop seemed to work fine for two months. The issues I have a problem with are not functions I use often, but have used in the past and know how to use well.

First I noticed my bluetooth was not functioning or noticed by the HP wireless assistant. The tray icon is consistently blue with a red middle. When I right click it it says "BLUETOOTH DEVICE NOT FOUND" and I also cannot open its utility. I have been through all of the troubleshooting and advice found by searching google as well as contacting and utilizing support from HP, microsoft, intel, and widcomm. I have spent over 20 hours trying to solve this problem and even more with the next. In the past I have utilized and transfered pictures and ringtones to and from my phone with this laptops bluetooth.

Also, I used to hook my s-video out to any TV and be able to play movies and games using the Intel Media Graphics Accelerator's Graphics Property utility where there are about 4 devices listed. In the past before the service, there were listed: Notebook, Television, Projector, and Dual Display. Now there is only one, Notebook. I have also gone through microsoft, intel and HP for this problem with no resolve. Also the s-vid out is right next to a USB jack and the USB jack does not work. The USB is one of 3 located in 3 corners of the laptop base, the other 2 work.

I have also updated everything on the computer as well as the BIOS, after which both features were still not visible in the BIOS.

I have no doubt this is a hardware issue. Because I did not find these issues until two months after the service, Brandsmart only allows one month to bring it back and refused free service. I am in college. My funds are tight and being without my laptop at this time in the semester is not a reasonable situation. With direction I am very handy with computers and taking things apart. Does anyone know about these issues and/or how to fix them?

Edited by frostygt2, 30 October 2007 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Was the board replaced and did HP wipe the laptop or did they just replace the board on its own?
Its possible that the board was replaced but the system not wiped, therefore the system is looking for a Bluetooth device from the old board that no longer exists. Same situation could be possible for the S-Video as well, if its a different board with a different set of outputs.

frostygt2

frostygt2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, if by wiped you mean reformatted, yes. When I first could not solve the problems I reformatted using the restore disc that you put in and restart the comp. I also used the drivers disc and driver updates from HP. HP did not do the work, the extended warranty service from a Brandsmart store did it. I'm guessing they sent it out.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds a lot like the original board has been replaced in the original case so now some stuff may or may not work. This has to be the case especially since it was working before repair and now it doesn't even after you recover the system manually.
Alternatively something may not have been connected when the work was done so I suggest getting back in contact with the people who honoured the warranty.