Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lay it down for me please Core 2 Duo

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi

I bought a system with Intel P3 & then with P4 & then with P4 Hyper Threading.

Then I bought a ystem with P4 Dual Core 3.0 GHz.

Nowthere is a buzz of P4 with Dual Core.

So Now I want to buy a P4 Core 2 Duo system.

What GHz Core2 Duo will give me a performance much better than dual core 3.00 GHz ?

Intel is making a Joe Blow's life much more difficult with their nomenclature like P4 then Hyper Threading, then Dual Core & then Core 2 Duo now.

Why in the [bleep] can they sell their product by sticking to one standard in terms of computing power that a Joe Blow Can understand ?

Please lay it down for me in terms of a Joe Blow because you guys won't be fooled around by these nomencalture of Intel that only a highly technically knowledgeable people like you would understand.

Tell me if it is worth going for a Core 2 Duo & at what GHz that would give me an edge over Dual Core 3.0 GHz ?

Currently I am considering for 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo Vs 3.0 GHz Dual Core that I own. Is it worth paying the higher price in terms of computing power of Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz ?

If not then how about Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz ?

That is trhe most I can afford.

I would really appreciate your help in any form and would like to thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok there are two kind of processors that get confused The Pentium D (Basically 2 Pentium 4s put together) and the Core 2 Duo (Two Duo chips put together).

What GHz Core2 Duo will give me a performance much better than dual core 3.00 GHz ?

Any Core 2 Duo will beat the Pentium D it performance.

What are you doing on the Computer?
Also what are the other specs on the computer? RAM, Video Card, etc.

The best bang for your buck Core 2 Duo is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz for $195: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115029

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Ok there are two kind of processors that get confused The Pentium D (Basically 2 Pentium 4s put together) and the Core 2 Duo (Two Duo chips put together).

Any Core 2 Duo will beat the Pentium D it performance.

What are you doing on the Computer?
Also what are the other specs on the computer? RAM, Video Card, etc.

The best bang for your buck Core 2 Duo is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz for $195: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115029</a>

I am using it for stock market quotes & real time charting and using 3 other software doing the same thing so I suppose it is pretty power intensive. Also backing up my system 2 to 3 times a day while everything is running.

Currently I am using P4 D 3.0 GHz, 2MB L2, 800 MHz FSB, 2.0 GB RAM & 256 MB Video Card and able to do all of the stuff mentioned above.

Now Say I buy P4 C2D 2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2, 1333 MHz FSB and 3 GB RAM with XP Pro. How much faster it would be ? I mean 25% OR 50% OR ?

Also how much difference a P4 C2D 2.66 GHz instead of 2.33 GHz would make ?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I want to clear something up first. The Pentium Ds were P4s but the Core 2 Duo is something different altogether. The reason that the Core 2 Duos kill the dual core P4s is because it is two cores on a single die whereas the Pentium D was two Pentium 4s glued together. They also have a much higher L2 cache which plays a major role in why they are better than AMD 64 X2s. L2 Cache is RAM built on to the CPU.

Your performance differences will depend on the application. Check these charts: http://www23.tomshar...m...7&chart=420. You can make the comparison your would like.

It is your call if you think the difference is worth the cost of an upgrade.

Edited by Titan8990, 01 November 2007 - 10:42 AM.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Well,

Dell just reduced their prices & now I can get P4 Core 2 Quodro 2.4 GHz for the same price.

So I am now totally confused.

Lay it down for me now please.

How much faster is P4 Core 2 Quodro 2.4 GHz with L2 of 8 MB better than P4 D 3.0 GHz L2 4 MB with everything else the same ?

Please tell me 100%, 200% or else but in Layman's term.

Thanks much.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

How much faster is P4 Core 2 Quodro 2.4 GHz with L2 of 8 MB better than P4 D 3.0 GHz L2 4 MB with everything else the same ?

Okay, let's get a little technical here. When you are describing an Intel processor, unless it's a Pentium 4, do not put P4 on the front of the name. We do know what you mean, but it's incorrect. We have the Pentium 4, or the Pentium D, or the Pentium Dual-Core, or the Core 2 Duo, or the Core 2 Quad.

So if you want to compare a Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz and a Pentium D 3.0GHz, the Core 2 Quad wins hands down. The Core 2 Quad is new, the Pentium D processors are "last-generation" - 2 generations ago!

The Pentium D's run notoriously hot and are relatively inefficient.

To answer your question "How much faster?" is difficult because many other components factor in on the speed of a computer. Also, software makers are just starting to catch on with the dual-core processors and are optimizing their programs for this. Be assured, though, that buying a Core 2 Quad will be much more of a better investment for the future and it is a much better processor.

I recommend you do some research on processors, Tom's Hardware is a good place to start. CPU page and CPU Chart page are two good links.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Different processors have different different numbers of cores. (Cores are the number of mini processors in one big processor)

*) The Pentium 4 only has one Core. (Only one mini processor for the whole chip)

*) The Pentium D has 2 Cores. (2 mini processors in the main processor, These two mini processors are two Pentium 4 processors glued together.)

I hope I am not confusing you so far

*) The Core 2 Duo has 2 Cores also like the Pentium D but the 2 mini processors that make up the CPU are completely different then the Pentium D and its two Pentium 4 processors.

*) And the Core 2 Quad has four cores that are 4 mini processors to make one big processor.

The more cores that you usually have the faster the CPU can go. Pentium 4 is the slowest because it is only one core, Pentium D is #2 because it has two cores, Core 2 Duo has two cores and is faster then the Pentium D because it was designed beautifully and the Pentium D are crudely made. And the Core 2 Quad is the fastest because it has four cores.

I hope this cleared some things up for you.

Now I would not even bother with the Pentium D because the Core 2 Duo is a lot better and not that much more money. There are 2 processors that I would choose from: The Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz or the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. The Core 2 Quad is more powerful. You can see by how much at this link: http://www23.tomshar...m...1&chart=435
The two processors that I recomend are highlighted in red.

Edited by jackflash1991, 04 November 2007 - 07:55 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
:) All three of us posted the same charts.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Great minds think alike. :)

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
jackflash1991, Titan8990, troy,

You guys have been tremendous help. You clered up everything & made it much easier for me.

One last thing regarding video card.

I want to use dual monitor & have a choice of two video cards. I am not going to use it for gaming.

Would it make a significant change if I chose 256 MB PCIe ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT instead of 256 MB PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS ? It would save me few bucks that I can spend on Core 2 Quad insted of Core 2 Duo.

Currently I do have 256 MB PCIe ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT on my other PC and it seems to work OK.

Thanks

Edited by georgetok, 05 November 2007 - 05:12 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you are not gaming, the 2600XT should be fine. Even a few dollars cheaper, the 2600 Pro may fit your bill.