Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook HDDs with built-in password system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I don't really *have* these HDDs myself, but I know I could buy them pretty cheap from someone doesn't know the password or how to get rid of them. The password lock is part of the HDD's own BIOS, since it runs independently of OS.
Also, considering what I've read around here, I suppose these HDDs could also be made to check if their BIOS matches with the original motherboard's. Thus, they won't run on a computer that is not the one they were made for. Is there a way to bypass this, if this security is also in place? I doubt it is though, since it seems to be available only for newer models. But you neve know...

It's 3 HDDs, all 40 GBs, Hitachi Travelstar, models IC25N040ATCS05-0 (two of them), and HTS548040M9AT00 (the third one).

I just want them to do cheap backups. I'm not interested in the information, so formatting them outright would be ok if it's possible at all. I don't know if that can be done with the password in the way. I never faced this issue before, and the owner hasn't informed me yet of what he tried himself, if he tried anything at all. I assume it's most likely he already did try the formatting...via OS install, if nothing else.

Obviously, I don't wanna mention the formatting before buying them. I doubt they'll stay this cheap then.

Anyone think they can help?

Aside from that...is there anything special I'd need to do to plug these to my desktop PC? I'm experienced enough to handle several things, but since I'm relying on experience, and I have almost no experience handling the hardware inside a notebook...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by DA IMP, 31 October 2007 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
this type of question is one we do not wish to answer. sorry.