Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another .NET Framework Question

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Have XP Home and EasyCleaner Add/Remove shows that I have installed:

.Net Framework 1.1 and
.Net Framework 1.1 and
.Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) and
.Net Framework 2.0

After reading other threads/Topics I understand that must have installed a program twice (and that caused another 1.1 to be loaded each time - but not sure which program).

QUESTION IS: Can one of the 1.1's but uninstalled?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Difficult to see how the same version could be installed twice if presumably you accepted the default install location for it. The second installation would simply over-write the first one -- so you still end up with only one copy of it installed. More likely Windows has simply logged it (in error) as two copies in "Add/Remove Programs". One of those entries needs removing, but not by running it's uninstaller. This would remove the actual program and you don't want to do that. All you want to do is remove the entry.

The list in Add/Remove is maintained in the Windows Registry, under a key labelled 'Uninstal', but I don't advise you to go messing with that. Much safer and easier is to download and install Piriform's 'Ccleaner' from here: http://www.ccleaner.com/

1. Start Ccleaner and click the 'Tools' icon
2. Highlight one of the entries for 'Net Framework 1.1' (either one is okay), then click 'Delete entry'

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you pip22 !

Used ccleaner (tools) but there was only 1 .NET 1.1 entry (2 actually - 'base' 1.1 and the Hotfix)... that prompted me to check the Windows add/remove and lo 'n behold, .Net 1.1 ('Base') was only listed once:blush:. Then I checked Add/Remove Pro (which 'Geeks' had suggested for another - unrelated problem) and .Net 1.1('Base') was listed twice. (Did Windows get it right for once?)
What's going on ? Is my registry messed up?

Have another (unrelated?) question. (If you want me to start another topic, no problem - just let me know). I noticed in all the add/remove's that JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11, then Update 6, and also Update 9 were listed as being installed, but didn't find anything pertinent in search ... can I 'get rid' of the Update 6 and Update 9? (I assume they're superceded by Update 11 and not necessary ... good assumption?)