Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new anti-virus program

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just installed a new anti-virus program, AVG. Installation went well, first scan elicited nothing. However, went I go to control panel, security center it shows the AV as turned off. There is a notation below that says 'Windows does not recognize all AV programs.'

I have a friend who also had AVG program and Windows XP but she claims she does not have any such problem.

What could be wrong with my PC? It also did this with the previous AV program I had which was Avast. This was one of the reasons I switched AV programs hoping windows would recognize AVG program. But it does not for some reason.

Anything I can do to correct this misinformation?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Only suggestion I have is to look in Control Panel under the Windows Firewall tab Exceptions. Make sure all the avg check boxes are checked. If they are, unchecked all, then recheck and see if that does it. Don't know if you have to reboot for them to be picked up after doing this.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Did as suggested; all avg exceptions were checked so followed through but sad to say nothing changed. Will go on AVG site on the net and see if they might have some answers.

Any other ideas here?

Thanks for trying.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No more ideas yet. Didn't see anything related to your problems in the FAQs. I only checked the free version FAQs.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If AVG is updated and working the square at the task bar should be coloured. If it's grey, then something is wrong. Go to control center in AVG and check if all the modules are running (green mark near each). Also check time and date on your computer. If all is well and scans are performed then there is a problem probably in windows security center.
Use this link (Kelly's Korner) and go to number 374. Click the option on the left side and see if it fixes the problem.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

If AVG is updated and working the square at the task bar should be coloured. If it's grey, then something is wrong. Go to control center in AVG and check if all the modules are running (green mark near each). Also check time and date on your computer. If all is well and scans are performed then there is a problem probably in windows security center.
Use this link (Kelly's Korner) and go to number 374. Click the option on the left side and see if it fixes the problem.

I believe his AVG is running ok. The problem seems that Windows Security is not recognizing it. He had same problem with AVAST not being recognized. #374 is on this page.

Not sure I recommend this, but never hurts to try if its important enough. Just be sure to make a Restore Point and back up the complete Registry.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 November 2007 - 04:57 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
windows does this on my system too...also tells me zone alarm isn't working occasionally (its on and working)..
but as stated already..if AVG is colored in the system tray..its working fine...
its not a big deal...

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
nope the square is not colored on my right side task bar; found the 374 note and not sure I want to fool around with restore/registry etc. Have to think about it for awhile. As long as the AV is working properly I am not 'hot to trot' to have Windows recognize it. I regularly update it so that will not be an issue.

Was cautioned when I installed AVG that if I used Roxio that it has some kind of a situation that needed updated otherwise would cause problems with AVG. Had a tough time updating Roxio, my version is quite old. I might uninstall Roxio, see what Windows does with AVG and then if it then recognizes AVG will know I need to perhaps invest in latest version of Roxio.

Might you know of a good Registry cleaner that could resolve the problem or is it a corrupted file that needs replacing in the registry?

Thanks to all for ideas and reassurance re this problem.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just noted something. The greyed out icon that I thought was AVG AV program is in fact my AVG Spyware program and the resident shield is turned off because is is the free version. The AVG AV icon is in fact colored so guess the AV program is working OK - Windows is just being obstinate :) But will keep working on getting windows to accept the AV program.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Just noted something. The greyed out icon that I thought was AVG AV program is in fact my AVG Spyware program and the resident shield is turned off because is is the free version.

you might want to us msconfig and remove this AVG antispyware from the start up tab...save you some cpu cycles and just use it as a on demand tool like ad-aware and spybot s & d...they use no resources until you launch them

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It could be you need a windows update.... I've had various issues with windows security center and AVG. So far the latest updates seems to have fixed that but we'll see. I usually just turn off security center monitor of the AV as I have had it corrupt avg in the past...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Just noted something. The greyed out icon that I thought was AVG AV program is in fact my AVG Spyware program and the resident shield is turned off because is is the free version.

This should be activated whether you have free version or not. All in the free version should be functional. If any one of them is not, Windows will refuse to recognize AVG being ready.

You may need to totally uninstall AVG, including any remnants left behind. I would uninstall and use CCleaner to remove Registry keys left over. Then reinstall. Be sure you check that CCleaner is set to backup Registry before removing Registry keys. It usually pops up asking you to do this when Clean button is clicked.

The only function I have AVG doing is updating virus database and scanning incoming mail. You can have it scan outgoing email, too, but waste of time. I also have ClamWin running to check certain folders on a scheduled basis. Same with Avast. Windows Defender also runs as needed. Never had a conflict with any if schedules of each do not run at same time for same folders.

Recommend use of Spybot Search & Destroy along with Ad-Aware 2007. All those mentioned are free and very good tools. No one program can keep up with all the malware. The free onlines scans are worth using once in awhile, too.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 November 2007 - 01:47 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Re the greyed out area of AVG Spam program, it says in the program that it refers to the Resident Shield which is turned off in the free version. If I buy it, then Shield will be on. But rest of program seems to be OK.

Already using Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. Have down loaded CCleaner and will give it a go to see how things fall out.

Some place along the way here I read that AVG is compatible with Windows 2000. Now does that mean Windows 2000 exactly or just the 2000 series? My windows is Version 2002.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Re the greyed out area of AVG Spam program, it says in the program that it refers to the Resident Shield which is turned off in the free version. If I buy it, then Shield will be on. But rest of program seems to be OK.

I don't understand your problem here. I have the FREE version and my resident Shield is on and active. We may be talking apples and oranges here. I'm talking about the free version located on this page at the left.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes, we are talking apples and oranges. I have two AVG programs:

AVG antivirus
AVG Anti Spam

It is the anti-spam Shield that is not on in the free version.

Uninstalled Roxio but no results re Windows not recognizing AVG program. I may have to try the suggest given re the registry fix etc. Rather overwhelmed right now re work so when I am up to it and have time will wrestle with trying the one suggestion on Registry Edits page. Until then I seem to be protected well enough just would like Windows to recognize the program.