Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new anti-virus program

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Shard 92 suggested updating Windows. The only update I have elected NOT to do is IE7. Had it once and it slowed down my PC and caused some other issues (forget now). Was told by our school techs at college that IE7 is really for Vista and that it does cause some problems with XP. Vista being a huge program, it needs IE7 to accompany it. Is this the concensus among techs?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
IE 7 is not just for Vista. Vista has its own version of IE not related to IE 7 from what I understand. May go by the version name of IE 8 in Vista releases now. If you need to use an IE engine for IE only sites, then you have two options: One is to use Maxthon browser or Firefox with the IE Tab extension. I recommend Firefox. Version 2.0.0.9 has just come out today. FF is the preferred browser for those who like to have a browser which is CSS2 compliant and meets the latest web standards.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 02 November 2007 - 04:51 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Yes, we are talking apples and oranges. I have two AVG programs:

AVG antivirus
AVG Anti Spam

It is the anti-spam Shield that is not on in the free version.

Uninstalled Roxio but no results re Windows not recognizing AVG program. I may have to try the suggest given re the registry fix etc. Rather overwhelmed right now re work so when I am up to it and have time will wrestle with trying the one suggestion on Registry Edits page. Until then I seem to be protected well enough just would like Windows to recognize the program.

Windows will not recognize an anti-virus program unless it is fully functional. As suggested, I wouldn't worry about Windows, but either buy or use the free program which is just as effective.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
From what I can tell, the AVG virus program is fully functionally but I could be wrong. Will uninstall and reinstall to see what happens.

Will also try the Firefox Browser. Am already using Mozilla Thunderbird email as Outlook Express I find just too problematic or else I don't know something about it.

Thanks again for the tips and will keep on keepin' on. :)

Donna