Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

getting scratchy sound from speakers....help

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
when i listen to some songs, at some places i get scratchy sound from my speakers.These songs play normally on other systems.Also when windows starts up, i get that sound.

i have connected the speakers to a sound system and they play fine.

i don't know which sound drivers my system uses but somewhere i think its Sigmatel C-Major.

Please help....

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi xp_even! This may sound funny, but I think your hard drive is stuck in the wrong transfer mode. I have had this problem once upon a time, new drivers did not change a thing until I fixed the transfer speeds of my hard drive.

Starting from your desktop, right-click on My Computer and select Manage. On the left, select Device Manager. On the right, click the [+] next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, then select the channel to which your hard drive is connected (most probably Primary). Right-click on the channel, select Properties, then click on the Advanced Settings tab. If, next to Current Transfer mode, it says PIO mode, then this is your problem.

To fix it, back in device manager, close the [-] next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and open the [+] next to Disk Drives. Right-click on your hard drive and select Uninstall. Then close out of the windows and reboot your computer. Windows XP will reinstall the necessary drivers for your hard drive automatically on startup.

If this is not the problem, then please report back here, as a driver update may be available which could fix the problem.

Cheers :)