Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive questions

• Please log in to reply

GregLB

GregLB

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am thinking about purchasing a high end computer.

What I am debating about is wether to purchase a 10000 RPM or 7200 RPM hard drive

Question 1, (most important question_ is........ will there be a huge difference given that all other aspects of my computer are equal (high-end) What percentage increase would effect: gaming, multiple applications, startup

Heres what I was thinking. I can afford to get one 72 gig 10000 and another 150 Gig 7200.

Do you think that would be a good idea, based on what I can afford?
If so then that brings me to my other questions.
Question 2 Would I have to use RAID teccnology to use both hardrives?
Question 3 How would I ezactly do that? I have read up on it a little and know there is different RAID Levels, but how difficult and what is the process to actually setting it up? (if you don't have time to explain, do you know of any good articles?)
Question 4 Would I have to get a RAID Controller CARD, any recomendations?
Question 5 How ezactly would I be able to take full advantage of this combination..... would I load application and games into the 10000 RPM hardrive and use the 7200 for storage (pics, movies, etc)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post!
Much appreciated!

Greg

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello GregLB,

Many new 7200 rpm hard drives keep up with the Raptor 10,000 rpm drives. Yes, the raptors are very fast but with much larger hard drives available I would have to lean towards something like the WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Hard Drive. This drive is very fast and best of all capacity is 750 gigs. The price is under $180 which is hard to beat for performance and gigs/$. Raid must be setup using matched drives. I like the raptors, I myself run a raid setup, but with drives like the WD7500AAKS available, I find it hard to recommend raptor drives on a new build from a price/performance perspective.

If you are looking at running raid most mid to high end motherboards support onboard raid.

If you wish to read up on hard drives here are some links. Performance charts and Review

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 01 November 2007 - 12:24 AM.