Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read attachments

• Please log in to reply

ravantwin

ravantwin

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I use Windows XP and have comcast for my server. When I try to open a bussiness attachment from my e-mail (I have word perfect 12, wordpad, and Notepad) when I go to open or save it, it opens into the program but looks like greek to me, I can't read it. Any suggestions? The properties of the attachment say it is hyper text format. Thank you, sincerely Sharon

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hyper Text format is part of what HTML stands for (HTML stands for HyperText Mark-up Language). Therefore these pages should be viewable in any web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I can read the body of the e-mail message o.k., it is the attachments I cannot read. When I click on them it gives me the option to open or save, either one sends them to wordpad. I can try to send them to my microsoft office, but same thing, greek... Anyway, I know they were written with Excel, so think the word processors are not compatible? I am fairly naive about this, thank you sincerely, sharon

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to change the encoding in which the email is viewed.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It sounds to me like your opening and saving all attachments into a specific format, and they are not of that same format. Example, you can't open a picture in wordpad, all you will see is, what you call "greek". You can't open an Excel.xml spreadsheet into a Word.doc
You need to figure out how to change how your attachments are saved and/or opened.

Try right clicking on one of the saved attachments that you think is a spreadsheet: right click, open with, and choose Excel to open it.

Another problem might be that you don't have the correct program to open the attachments, in which case, it is trying to open them with word.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I don't have excel. I only have microsoft office and word. I think that's the problem. I do know they were written in excel. Is there a way to convert it? thank you

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Do you have the entire Office suite or is the only program installed from that suite Word? Microsoft Office offers several programs including Word and Excel. Is this a machine at work or home?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
open office has excel program
its free here for download and use

http://filehippo.com...oad_openoffice/