Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello again peoplez,

I have a problem. I have 2 hard drives, both of which show under device manager, yet one of them does not show under my computer, any ideas? I recently installed Samsung PC Studio, and windows cane up with one of those balloons on my taskbar to tell me "Write file error" so, i uninstalled the program. Didn't work via control panel but it did work by putting in the cd and removing it. My hard drive still isn't there. Also when i burn a CD my CPU goes to 50%+ [HT shows 2 CPU's and one @ 50%] meaning it is actually 100%. I can use any program the burning is still slow as a mule. Now, my firewall picked up a new process, svchost (rpcrt4.dll) which google tells me is something to do with the data read/write. Is this my problem? Can i somehow check the windows directory for errors that the Samsung cd might have messed up?

Edited by Adrenalin, 01 November 2007 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
*bump*

I really need this thing sorted out :/ it's stopping me from working

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We try as hard as we can here at GeekstoGo to answer all posts. However time times posts fall though the cracks. I just want to let you know If you do not get a response within three days of your post we have a waiting room where you can post the link to your post. This room is given higher priority and your post may be answered faster that way. We ask that you do not BUMP or posting a new topic only hinders us from being able to help you. You can visit the waiting room by going to the link below.

http://www.geekstogo...-Room-f100.html

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok, didn't know. I don't like to usually 'bump' in my own post but i really needed help that time. I am not home now so i dont know if the problem still persists, i did however manage to get the CPU back down to normal by swapping my ide cable from IDE1 to IDE2. Will have to go home and see if my 40GB is still 'missing' in my computer or not.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok, so i am hone and guess what, no 40GB drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are two screenshots

The 2 drives that show in my computer is one physical drive that been partitioned. The 40GB is still 'missing' as such.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Were both disks working well before the Samsung installation? Please specify how exactly the drives are jumpered and set (are they on the same flat cable. IDE0 or IDE1. Which is master/slave. On which is windows installed. Are they cable select etc)

Try to uninstall the drivers in device mansger. Reboot and let windows install the drivers afresh.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
The drives worked 100% before i installed the Samsung software. I have also tried uninstalling them from the device manager and then the system picked them up again and re-installed them. They still do not show in My Computer. I have my HDD and my LG DVD-Rom on one IDE Cable. Surely if the BIOS and Device Manager pick up the drives it can't be the config of the jumpers? Or can it... When i right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management, the drive is also not there... Something is fishy. It had no windows installation on at all. It was a completely empty drive.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried restoring to a date before the problem started?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yes i have also tried that, did not work. The only restore date i had was just before i installed the samsung software, which i tried using, then when the restore was finished i still had the samsing desktop icon on my desktop :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can read here about rpcrt4.dll. It is an essential windows file.

1:Have you tried sfc /scannow (system file check)?

2: Try to disconnect the disk entirely and see if burning speed is improving.

3: Connect the disk as slave or cable select on IDE0 and see if windows identifies it.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I connected the HDD and DVD Writer onto IDE2 on my motherboard, and my burning speed went back to normal. That is sorted now. Cheap motherboard, not really worried if IDE1 doesn't work. :) upgrade soon anyway. But i'd still like to 'see' my 40GB coz i move data to and from my laptop with that drive. sfc /scannow didn't seem to reveal any erorrs. This is so weird...

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Have another look in Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Any yellow or red warnings posted there?
You can Uninstall the Secondary Channel, then reboot to allow Windows to "find new hardware" and "install controller/drivers for new hardware"

If the IDE Secondary Channel appears in Device Manager with no warnings and reports status as "This device is functioning properly" then you might have a bad IDE Ribbon that needs to be replaced. Or your present IDE Ribbon may be an "older" 40 wire conductor ribbon that should be replaced with an 80 wire conductor ribbon. Or the connector end of the ribbon may be faulty. Or the socket for IDE connection on your 40gb HD may be dirty or faulty.

If the secondary IDE channel is completely shot, you "can" purchase an IDE PCI Controller Card to add additional IDE channel to connect your 40gb HD.

Google fore "ide pci controller" to find various available products.

Best Regards

Edit. Sorry I notice you are referring to IDE1 and not the Secondary Channel. No problem. Same information above still applies.

Edited by Doug, 05 November 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Oh my,

I have two primary and two secondary IDE channels listed under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers, is that right? My laptop onlt has one but then again perhaps that doesnt have two IDE slots...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand the confguration. Now that HDD and cd drive are connected to IDE2, and burning speed is back to normal, where is 40 gig HD connected to? What happens when you connect it as master (or single, or CS) to the end connector on IDE1?

How do you move data with the 40 gig to your laptop? Do you use an ide to usb converting enclosure?

If HDD and cd drive were running well on IDE1 then the problem is not with the motherboard, nor in the flat cable. Do you have another computer to which you can connect the 40 gig? If you do, try to connect it and see if it's recognized in My Computer. If it is, run a complete chkdsk.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
You have two slots in your mainboard, but each slot can be connected to two IDE/ATAPI devices, for a total of 4 IDE devices. That's just fine.

Do all show as "functioning properly"?