Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yup, everything is fine. When i have a yellow question mark in my device manager i will not rest till it is fixed. The pic above shows no yellow or red problem signs.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Thanks Adrenalin,

I'd best step out of the way, so you can pursue the important line of investigation suggested by The Skeptic.

Best Regards

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah i am going to try see if ti is a) IDE cable b) jumpers [although i dont see why it would be that if they were working fine] and c) a bigger hammer :)

I'll let you know if i can get it sorted out.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok, so changed IDe cables, drive still shows in BIOS and Device manager, but not in my computer?! This has now boggled my brain for a while and i thought changing IDE cables and swapping from IDE2 to IDE1 would work, but it hasn't. Other forums suggest that the drive does not have a drive letter assigned to it and that other people should right click on my computer, click on manage, and then assign a drive letter to it, my only problem is that the drive isn't in there! only device manager and bios! what the blazers?! :) Why on earth would it be in the BIOS and device manager but not in my computer?!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Jumper the 40 gig HD as master (or single, or cs) and install it on IDE0, at the cable end connector. Disconnect all other IDE drives. Use a bootable DOS floppy (win98 rescue diskete or other version of DOS). Boot the computer to DOS. Run FDISK to wipe old partition and create new partitions. Reboot and format the disk to FAT32. The disk should be recignized now. If it is, reformat in XP to NTFS.

If it doesn't we will try to zero all the disk bits, run fdisk again and reformat to FAT32.

Please write down the make and model of the disk.