Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinZip compression

• Please log in to reply

lost in technology

lost in technology

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Just bought WinZip and thought it was like StuffIt. All I bought it for was to compress a folder with jpg images to email to customers. For the life of me I can not figure it out. Everytime I try to add folders or files it does not reconize .jpg images. It just shows a blank folder. When I used StuffIt it was drag and drop, but when I drag the folder over WinZip it ask's if I want to add a file but can not select that folder. It will not let me select it.

I am just trying to compress a file, that's it! It can't be that hard, but it is. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are MULTIPLE ways to compress files with winzip (in fact...all of these ways are outlined in the help files)

you can open winzip and click the "add files" button to make a ZIP file

or you can highlight all the files you want in explorer...and right click them and choose to add to a winzip archive

also...XP has it's own built in compression utility that does the same thing (right click a group of files and choose send to archive folder)...but XP's version doesn't allow customizable compression ratios

lost in technology

lost in technology

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's the scoop. I have a folder on the desktop with ten or so .jpg files. I am using Wizard as the says to if you are a begineer. First I click create new zip file. Next it ask's you to navigate to files. I navigate to the folder and click OK. It opens and shows no files in it. And you have to select OPEN. How can I add if you can't see them. This is crazy. I can not get past this point, because if have to open a file or it will not let you continue. How can I open or select it if I can not see it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click that folder....you should see a reference to winzip in the menu that opens up (sorry i don't have winzip installed)....something like "add to winzip archive" or you might see "winzip" there with another menu underneath it....this will alow you to add your folder to a compressed file on your desktop...the destination file will have the same name as the folder you just zipped up