Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer suddenly freezing up

• Please log in to reply

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My Computer (for the last month) started freezing up whenever I hit try to do any action while in Windows Live Mail or when opening anything Adobe (i.e., Elements, Acrobat) It freezes for about 15 minutes then finally goes forward with whatever action I was attempting. Most of my programs are operating much slower. Any suggestions? Where can I start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Lets start with this:

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I only had info in the top right box that you circled. The bottom left circle was blank.

Here is what I had:

HDO: 42C
Temp: 47C

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause CPU overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc. Open your machine and make sure the fans are working and the heat sink on the processor is not blocked with dust or debris. Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air. You can also remove the cards, RAM modules, clean the contacts and reset them. Check your connections and fans to make sure they are working properly and monitor the temperature.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial118.html

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
This is a Dell Inspiron 6000d Notebook, and I've never cleaned it...bought it brand new 3 years ago.

Okay, I attempted to take the back off but after removing ALL the screws I still couldn't access the area with the fan. So I just cleaned the exterior vents and blew (with forced air) out the dust I could with removing the parts of the back that would come off.

Edited by Miner Quad, 02 November 2007 - 09:22 AM.

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I ran Speed Fan again and it now states
HDO 33C
Temp1 41C

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Three years is a very long time to go without a cleaning. Get a can of compressed air from your local computer or office store. Clean out all the ventilation areas or your laptop. Latigid did not know this was a laptop. I don't recommend opening it unless you really feel confortable doing it.

Your temps don't look bad but because of the limited information there is no way to tell if there is something else running hot in your machine. We will check using a different application. Also it is good to check your temperatures after working on the machine for an hour or so. It is best to do CPU intensive things such as file conversions. I'm think your Idle to full load temps will vary more greatly then normal do to dust insulating the heat.

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Go to the Computer > Summary > Sensor tab on the left. Report your temperatures from there.

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures:
CPU 37 C (99 F)
FUJITSU MHV2040AH 33 C (91 F)

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just checked the temps again after leaving it running for a few hours and this is what it states:

Temperatures:
CPU 37 C (99 F)
FUJITSU MHV2040AH 43 C (109 F)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I am sorry for the late reply.

How much free space is on your hard drive? When was the last time you defragged it?

We will go ahead and test your memory for errors. Follow these steps:

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I don't have a cd writer or 3.5" drive. How do I make a disc? I have a USB flash drive but when I clicked on the link it didn't give any instructions.

What should I do?

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have 10 Gig of free hard drive

and I still haven't figured out how to run Memtest.....

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Follow the instructions as usual but when you download Memtest get the one that says "Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)".

This will only work if your computer can boot to a USB device. There are instructions on changing your boot order in the memtest guide.

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
When I click on the memtest guide link there is nothing there that even says memtest. it takes me to www.x86-secret.com

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay I found my own link and burned it at a friends house. I ran the Memtest86 all night and it found no errors.

What next?