Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need info on Routers

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok,
I don't know the first thing about networking - I just thought it'll be easier since I have wireless enabled laptops to use a wireless network instead of blutooth.
I read the pinned topic on setting up home networks but it didn't really apply since I have: 1 Mac, 1 XP & 2 Vista OS's I need on the network.
The host will be an XP OS, but as soon as I get my shiny new Mac It'll be the mac that's the host (Ps can the host computer only have wirless, or does it need to be ethernet?).

So I'm looking for a router now but I need to know which ones are compatible for what I need as follows:

My Network will be:
1 Mac Desktop with Ethernet & Wireless (Host)
1 XP Desktop with Ethernet (Host for a while - then I'm switching to Mac)
2 Vista Laptops with Ethernet & Wireless

**Also which routers are compatible with most types of broadband modems, cause I'll be getting broadband soon but I don't know which type I'll have**

Pps. Are wireless access points different to routers and if so what can they offer in my situation?

Sorry this is quite complicated,
If I haven't made myself clear please post a follow-up.

Thanks,
daffy_elmo

Edited by daffy_elmo, 02 November 2007 - 04:42 AM.

Advertisements