Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keeps disconnecting me from wireless

• Please log in to reply

melissak1982

melissak1982

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently I have been using my laptop in wi-fi areas, especially public libraries. Every time I am connected to the network, the connection will only last for 5-15 minutes, sometimes longer, but it disconnects many times while I am doing important things and screwing me up. Right now I am on a different laptop connected to the library's wireless and I am having no problems. When it disconnects, it's only for a few seconds and then reconnects, but it's still extremely annoying. What can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Melissa

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If not using a laptop with a built-in wireless adapter, you may need to buy a new adapter with a wider range than the standard one you've probably got now. Something like the Netgear 'Rangemax' can pick up and hang on to the wi-fi signal much more reliably and over a greater distance.
http://www.netgear.c...ers/WPN511.aspx

Edited by pip22, 04 November 2007 - 02:14 AM.