Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU and MB Question

• Please log in to reply

GregLB

GregLB

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so I am planing on updating my motherboard and CPU. I am debating about purchaseing a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

I do a lot of work where i need multiple applications open at a time and some gamming. Which will I benifit from most?

Also I do not plan to over click the CPU so how concerened to I need to be on purchasing additional Fans and Heatsinks? Do I need to be concerned at all?

Also which motherboard should I get
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121059

The ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard and Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail appear to have specifications. Why is there a $100 difference between them?

Thanks for the help!!!

GregLB

Advertisements

GregLB

GregLB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
anyone can help me?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi GregLB! What games are you intending to play? Are you going to be running video cards in SLI? The answers to these questions will help in recommending a processor and motherboard.

If you are not going to be overclocking, then I find the standard heatsink/fan combination that comes with the processor should be sufficient. The only other thing you would need to check is the case fans, one or two 120mm's should be sufficient.

The $100 difference is split up in a few things - like build quality, brand name, chipset, board specifications...

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The processor and motherboard you buy all depends on what your going to be doing with it. Myself being a PC gamer i'd go Quad Core QX6850 and get the 680i SLI but I guess that's just me. :)

The E6850 and the QX6600 have very similar performance both in games, multimedia and other applications. The E6850 is faster in certain multimedia packages and certain games but the QX6600 is faster at encoding video files and in certain games. As games support for Quad core gets better the QX6600 should show an edge in games.

The motherboard is something you should never skimp on, poor quality motherboards can be a right pain. From the list of boards your looking at i'd go with the 680i SLI. It gives you SATA support, SATA RAID support, SLi support, Quad support etc etc.

Check the Toms Hardware Guide 2007 CPU guide.

http://www23.tomshar...m/cpu_2007.html

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 06 November 2007 - 03:36 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Another point, if you're aiming for the 680i chipset motherboard, apparently the 780i is going to be released soon, it should be worth waiting another few weeks.