Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mobo replacement on HP laptop

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,649 posts
My mobo blew on my laptop, googling for a new 1 gave me so many darn options. LOL!! 160.00-500.00$
What I like to know is, now that my mobo is fried, can I get a different mobo that isn't HP??
In short, can I use it as a barebone build? Or am I wasting time and energy?
Where is a good place to shop for a mobo replacement?
I would like to stay away from HP as much as possible. Also would like one that doesn't have integrated graphic card, if possible.
Any incite would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion zv6000

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your mobo goes in your laptop, generally speaking it's finished. The problem with laptops is that everything just fits, so if your a centimetre of somewhere your finished, the other is heat output.
I have looked into the matter myself before, all I could come up with was sending it back to the manufacturer and being sent a $500+ bill, which at that price, I might as well just get a new laptop.
You could search on ebay for the laptop and try and get parts for cheap, but 1. if that laptop works, why would you take it apart and 2. chances are you'll get burnt with something that doesn't work, leaving the possibility that the mobo is fried in that unit as well.
James

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Like the above poster mentioned, a laptop mobo replacement is basically going to be limited to being from the OEM. I have replaced mobos on a few HP laptops, and on average it took about 3 hours to accomplish the task with each one, so is part of the reason it is not cheap. To find the exact mobo replacement from hp on partsurfer.hp.com select country, and enter model pavillion zv6000 as you indicated, then look at the label on the bottom of your laptop to find the more precise hp part number, and select the correct one from the page that comes up. You will be able to order a working replacement part from there, without having to deal with possibly gettign the wrong part, or a bad part. They usually have a refurbished and a new part for each item, which you could save a lot of money on the refurb.

You maybe could do the replacement yourself, if you are good at taking things apart and getting them back together properly again. As for getting a non-HP mobo, it is virtually impossible to do. Some manufacturers have the exact same parts in their laptops, basically by getting a system, putting their custom label on it, and selling it again, sometimes if you can find the original manufacturer can get a different mobo option that way, however, I am not aware of HP doing this, so for HP would be about the only option.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Welcome to geekstogo, :)
Well thats interesting, never knew HP would send out parts, thought it had to be done by them. Then again, that might be what they want it to sound like.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 November 2007 - 04:05 PM.

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yep, pretty much any part from HP would be available on partsurfer. Thanks for the welcome!

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,649 posts
Thanks for you time people. :) Would have been a great project, tinkering with things are what mechanics do. :)