Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel question

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm hoping there is a way to do this. I use Excel 2007.

I have a column with data in it. It has over a thousand cells in it. Is there any way I can convert that column into a row?

I want to convert it to a row so that I can save it in CSV format, and each piece of data would have a comma between it rather than be on a separate line.

Thank you,
mike.

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi Mike

If you look up "Convert columns to rows, or rows to columns" in the Help file,
it'll show you what you're looking for.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. But no matter how I type in "Convert columns to rows, or rows to columns" in the help file, the advice I am looking for doesn't show up.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi

This is what shows for me... does it help?

Move data between rows and columns

Copy the data in one or more columns or rows.

Before you paste the copied data, right-click your first destination cell (the first cell of the row or column into which you want to paste your data), and then click Paste Special.
In the Paste Special dialog box, select Transpose, and then click OK.
You'll find the Transpose check box in the lower-right corner of the dialog box:

[Diagram]

Starting with your first cell, Excel pastes the data into a row or column.

Notes
  • Columns and rows can not overlap. For example, if you select values in Column C, and try to paste them into a row that overlaps Column C, Excel displays an error message. When you go to paste a column or row, the destination area must be outside of the original values.
  • If you copy and paste data from more than one column, Excel places the data from the leftmost column on top. For example, say you copy data from columns A and B of a worksheet, and you paste the data into another worksheet starting at row 1. Excel places the data from column A in row 1, column B in row 2, and so on.
  • If you don't see the Paste Special command, make sure you right-click the first destination cell. You'll also find the command on the Edit menu. If you still don't see the command, make sure you're using Excel 2000 or later.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Vino,

The instructions you pasted does exactly what I need. I can't find them anywhere in my Office help file, so thanks for posting them.

mike.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
No probs!