Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOPLOCK - Good or Bad?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Just saw an article describing LAPTOPLOCK and wonder if anyone has had an experience with it. (Not trying to say anything about the company behind the service - so if I'm out of line, just say so.)

My initial concern is: Am I 'giving' away access to the files on my Laptop?

From the service's description it looks like I have to provide a password that gives access to my computer (ugh) - or do I only provide that password when (and if) my laptop is stolen (heaven forbid).

But, it seems like just by putting the service's software on my laptop, I'd be giving them free reign to my computer. (How do I know the software is only 'activated' with my password?)

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hey 911pchelp,

Serious Discussion is more for the serious discussion of real life issues, and not for computer help, so I've asked for your topic to be moved to the Tech forums where it will be more visible :)

Am I 'giving' away access to the files on my Laptop?

THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT MONITOR OR RECORD USER ACTIONS. THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT ALLOW ANYONE ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER OR DATA. THE LAPTOPLOCK CAN ONLY EXECUTE ACTIONS THE USER HAS PRE-PROGRAMMED IT WITH.

From the service's description it looks like I have to provide a password that gives access to my computer (ugh) - or do I only provide that password when (and if) my laptop is stolen (heaven forbid).

You have to provide a password when you sign up, and you set up another password on your computer, they both can, and should be different to all the other passwords you use. If your laptop is stolen then you log into their website with your password, and you mark the laptop as stolen. The next time your laptop connects to the internet, the service will try to find out as much information about where the laptop is connecting from as it can, it can also delete or protect specific files if you set it up to do that. If it doesn't connect to the internet, it will ask for a password (depending on your settings) and if they get that password wrong, it will do the actions you have asked it to do, like delete certain files :).

If after a while LaptopLock has been unable to connect to the Internet, it could ask the user to verify their identity by asking for a password. This option is set during installation and depends on how visible LaptopLock's presence should be.

From that site the software looks perfectly safe, but I'd wait to see if anyone else has any experience with it :)

~Matt

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you Matty3 !!

thelaptoplock.com quotes ... so they say - but who knows.

Am I paranoid - sometimes ... am I gullible - at times ... are privacy statements honored - I hope so but ....

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
You're welcome :)