Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing taskbar and desktop icons after startup

• Please log in to reply

sabrasmom

sabrasmom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Upon starting up my computer in normal mode, the desktop icons and taskbar do not appear. Using ctrl+alt+delete, I am able to open the task manager. There are no applications listed, but under the processes, the common ones including "explorer.exe" and "rstrui.exe" are listed. However all of these processes have a CPU of 0, except for the "System Idle Process" under the username "SYSTEM" has a CPU of 99. Upon someone's recommendation, I booted normally, went to Task Manager > Application Tab and picked 'new task'. I entered explorer.exe and clicked 'OK' to restart the desktop. However, an hourglass just appeared for a couple of seconds and then nothing happened.

I have tried starting my computer in safemode and all the icons and taskbar appear in this mode. I did run a virus scan here and nothing was found.

Can someone please help me?? I've had this problem one other time in the past and was able to fix this through someone's elses suggestion. But I failed to write that down.

All help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I am on another computer in the house...my computer is a laptop with wireless connection and I am unable to get the internet on it.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Does the problem manifest in a newly created Admin level account?
Is the wireless problem related or simply concurrent?

vision2000

vision2000

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yes, this problem populated to a couple of admin level accounts. Wireless network seems to be working just fine. Thank you for looking into my problem! Any suggestions?

vision2000

vision2000

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
oops. sorry I thought this was my thread. I am having the same problem with my laptop at home. I think it is a virus infection but I do not know how to get rid of it. I ran regCure without success. I was able to ran trial version of TrendMicro PC-cillin 2007 before to fix a similar problem two months ago, but this time the trial version expired; I tried to install a purchased version but it kept asking me to restart the computer before installation can start, but everytime I reboot, I came to the same blank screen without taskbar/desktop. Than I started running the installation again via taskManager, I kept getting the same message saying that I have to reboot...pls help!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
vision2000--please start your own thread. It becomes too confusing when more than one person is sharing a thread. Thanks.

vision2000

vision2000

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Sure no prob. I had one posted and it is still open.