Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot with different OS

• Please log in to reply

ladydy

ladydy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just received a Dell Pavillion Desktop that has been incorrectly wiped clean. The original OS was Windows XP. I tried rebooting with the XP floppy disks only to get the file /biosinfo.info could not be loaded - error code 4111.

Prior to knowing the original OS, I attempted to reboot with Windows 98 (which I prefer over XP). However, the computer gave the message that files would be damaged irrepairable and did I want to continue. I don't plan on using the XP OS if I can ever get back into the system, SO... Is it ok to continue with the Windows 98 reboot if it works (even though it says that files would be damaged irrepairable)?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I believe that you have very good reasons why you prefer 98 over xp. Please be advised, however, that microsoft suspended all support and development for 98.

If you really want to work with 98 I think you should perform a clean install of the program. Use a 98 recovery diskette to run FDISK, create new partition(s) and run format to FAT32. After that run the installation disk.