Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont Turn on

• Please log in to reply

CHIEF79_07

CHIEF79_07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a custom built computer with an Athlon XP 2000+ processor, 512 DDR memory, and XP Pro installed on the HD. My wife was using the computer one day and it just shut off on her, and never would turn back on. My dad has had this happen B4, and it was the power supply that got to hot and went bad. I had the put3er inside the cabinet of my comuter desk at that time against a wall. There prolly wasn't enough circulation. I went to Fry's elctronics and bought a Raidmax Scorpio 868 Tower that had 5 fans in it and a 450W SATA ATX PS in it. After hooking everything up, it wont even power up now. I know that the Athlon and the Athlon FX have different plug setups for the power supplies. This seemed to be more of a universal setup. It had the stander number of pins for the Athlon, but had some separate wires that would be used for the FX. They were not all one piece. There is also an small black serial ATA plug that looks like it hooks up to jumber size pins. This is not on my motherboard. Do I need to buy a motherboard to fit this case? If so, what kind do I need to buy? Is there a way to check the MB itself to see if it is still in working order or if it is fried from the overheat as well?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Are you saying that you were unable to locate where you plug your case into your MOBO? If so, some pictures would help.

The only way to check the MOBO would be to put it in with all known working componants. The other way would be to rule out all other possible pieces of hardware.

There is also an small black serial ATA plug that looks like it hooks up to jumber size pins.

If this is coming from your PSU it is most likey for a floppy drive.

Edited by Titan8990, 06 November 2007 - 03:09 AM.