Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Gaming Build

• Please log in to reply

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I assume that by "Stand off" you mean the spacer screws that go between the mother board and the case? Sorry for my ignorance but I have never heard the term before.

I finally got the computer assembled and ready for power...or so I thought. I plugged it in and turned it on. All LEDs come on, fans fire up, etc. But no power to mouse or keyboard and no signal to the monitor. Then, after ~60sec of power the whole things turns itself off. Not sure what is wrong. Trying to figure that out now. Any insight is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Edited by Slow hand, 09 November 2007 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I assume that by "Stand off" you mean the spacer screws that go between the mother board and the case? Sorry for my ignorance but I have never heard the term before.

This is correct, sorry I should have clarified. Without these it will cause a short, and your computer will fail to boot.

I finally got the computer assembled and ready for power...or so I thought. I plugged it in and turned it on. All LEDs come on, fans fire up, etc. But no power to mouse or keyboard and no signal to the monitor. Then, after ~60sec of power the whole things turns itself off. Not sure what is wrong. Trying to figure that out now. Any insight is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Without me being there it'll be hard to help you, but I'm going to try my best.

Is this the first computer you have constructed?
The first thing I want you to do is disconnect your hard drives and RAM and see if your computer will boot into BIOS. This will rule these two devices out as potential problems.
Have you placed the PCIe power cables into your graphics card?
Have you placed the CPU power cables into the mobo near the CPU?
Have you installed the 24pin motherboard cable into the motherboard correctly.

If your computer doesn't successfully boot into BIOS when you have removed the hard drives and memory and you have double/triple checked that all power cables are securly connected I suggest you unplug everything and plug it back in, this time a little firmer to be sure everything has a proper connection.

If the above doesn't work successfully answer the questions below.
Next do you have a P4, Pentium D or spare core2duo processor on hand? Do you know of anyone that does if you don't?
Do you have a spare GPU with a PCI or PCIe interface on hand? If not do you know of someone who might?
Is there anything that you think you might have done wrong? Anything that you are unsure about (such as a possible power connector not being used), just let me know. :)

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 November 2007 - 02:13 AM.

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have started a fresh thread for this james (didnt think the title here was appropriate) so I will respond there, especially because some things have come to light and I have mentioned them there.

Thanks!