Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla, Microsoft At Odds Over Next JavaScript

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Mozilla Chief Technology Officer Brendan Eich and Microsoft's Chris Wilson are trading heated rhetoric over the proposed next version of ECMAScript, better known as JavaScript.

Microsoft is quibbling with the ECMAScript Edition 4 effort, which is supported by Mozilla, maker of the Firefox browser. "As I've frequently spoken about publicly, compatibility with the current web ecosystem -- not 'breaking the Web' -- is something we take very seriously," Wilson wrote on the Internet Explorer team blog this week. "In our opinion, a revolution in ECMAScript would be best done with an entirely new language, so we could continue supporting existing users as well as freeing the new language from constraints."

Eich is the creator of JavaScript, a programming language that has become a bedrock Internet technology, helping drive much of the rich content and information now common on the Web. Microsoft's implementation of it is known as JScript.

More...

Ron

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Oh well, I'd say IE never liked JavaScript. I used to have this annoying problem with IE; after a couple of months' use, it would just give up on JavaScript and stop reading it. That didn't happen to me once with Netscape or Firefox.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Strange. I never had a problem with any version of IE and JS. Mainly I had JS reporting turned off in IE's Internet Options, but even the bad JS on some sites didn't stop IE. I use NoScript extension for Firefox, so I have total control over all JS on a site.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
NoScript is an excellent tool, especially when visiting shady websites...

And that happened to me years ago when I was still using IE at home... I was quite young back then and didn't bother looking it up in Google, I just switched to Netscape :)