Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Most Consumers Clueless About Online Tracking

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Online privacy is vastly overestimated, as ad networks and marketers track surfers, study reports.

Every single move you make online can, and often is, tracked by online marketers and advertising networks that gather and use the information for serving up targeted advertisements.

But the average American consumer is largely unaware that such tracking goes on, the extent to which it is happening or how exactly information is being used.

That's according to a new poll released this week by the Samuelson Clinic at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania. The survey of nearly 1,200 California adults studied consumer perceptions about online privacy and common advertising practices.

More...

Ron

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Bah! :yuck:

That's why I use AdBlock (for Firefox). Blocks all ads, and you don't get these nasty tracking cookies :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Ad blocking is not the same as blocking tracking cookies. Very hard to block cookies unless you add sites before you visit them to the black list. Just about all cookies are inserted on your PC without your knowledge unless you set Options to be notified when visiting a site that the site is trying to install a cookie. Then you have a choice to accept or deny for session or permanently. Of course, there are some sites, like GTG , where you want to keep the cookie. I never have to log into GTG or other forums since I maintain their cookies on my HD.

Ron

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I never keep any cookies, I always "Clear Private Data" when I finish up with FireFox and then run CCleaner afterward... Maybe it's a bit overboard, but...

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

I never keep any cookies, I always "Clear Private Data" when I finish up with FireFox and then run CCleaner afterward... Maybe it's a bit overboard, but...

troy and zorba think the same"We allways empty the cookiejar" :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Both cookie jars! :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Talking about cookies *off to get some sweets*

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Both cookie jars! :)

I AM MOVING THIS WEEK - INTERNET ACCESS WILL BE DOWN WHILST TRANSFERRING
I don't know how I'm going to survive :)
Need a hand?(to move,not for the cookiejar) :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 13 November 2007 - 09:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Heh, well I'm accessing this from an internet kiosk, but most everything is done in the new place. I've just got to clean up the old place today, ready for carpet cleaning tomorrow. Then we unpack, oh dear... Now where is that cookie jar!!!

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Heh, well I'm accessing this from an internet kiosk, but most everything is done in the new place. I've just got to clean up the old place today, ready for carpet cleaning tomorrow. Then we unpack, oh dear... Now where is that cookie jar!!!

In the box marked "kitchen" :)
Good luck in your new home

Edited by zorba the geek, 14 November 2007 - 09:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

In the box? That sounds too organised, I just threw everything in the trailer :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

In the box? That sounds too organised, I just threw everything in the trailer :)

I hope not the baby too!? :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Won't deleting internet history, temporary internet files ,cookies, and running AVG anti-spyware or spybot get rid of all that?