Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New (2nd) hard drive freezes computer

• Please log in to reply

kbmw94

kbmw94

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a Western Digital 80gb hard drive to store music files. I installed it on my Dell Demension 2400. It was configured as a slave. the software installation seems correct. When I copy files to the Wetern from a CD, The files copy but the computer freezes. Any idea what needs to be tweeked?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure, but I would try to format this drive using Win XP's utilities. Possibly do a thorough disk scan of this hard drive, too, to see if it comes up with any errors or problems. Then try again to copy files to HD. Also, make sure drive link was set correctly to allow HD to be a slave.

Ron

kbmw94

kbmw94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Ron, for the reply. I am not real savy but trying to learn. Can you provide a little more detail suchas where do I find Windows utilities?
Steve

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
One thing you can try first is to see if you can copy files from CD into a folder on your main Hard Drive, then try to copy the same files from that folder to the new drive.

Don't have Win XP installed, but if you right-click on desktop icon for My Computer, select Explore, right-click on drive icon you've installed, select Properties and the Tools tab will get you to ScanDisk.

Other access is via Programs>Accessories>System Tools after clicking on Start button. You can get a wealth of information from System Information, too.

I really don't think you have a problem with the new HD, but a thorough DiskScan will tell you something. May be a data rate transfer problem, but need to see if HD is okay for sure. Could be improperly formatted for Win XP, but formatting of drive is easy enough.

Might check the Properties on your CD drive from Device Manager. Mine is under PCI - Bus and selecting the CD icon and then clicking on the Properties button allows me to change some settings for the CD unit. Settings like : sync data transfer, auto-insert notification, volume setting, or enable/disable digital CD audio.

Probably missed some instructions here, but getting late for me. Brain locked. :tazz:

Ron