Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVIDIA FORCEWARE + nVIDIA 7900 GS

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I recently installed the new beta forceware package...without uninstalling my previous drivers. Just today I read on the nvidia site that it is recommended to uninstall the display drivers before installing the forceware package. So I uninstalled my display drivers and re-installed forceware.

Now the problems come....VLC (VideoLAN player) will flash and disappear when I open it, and some games including GTA San Andreas won't start. Something peculiar happens: if I leave the green nvidia icon active (in the bottom right)...the game will just not start...if I exit out of the nvidia control panel (the green icon), the game will not start but an error window comes up saying the usual: "there has been a problem ,this app will now close bla bla bla"...

What should I do?

(could anyone tell me how to get the most updated drivers for my 7900 GS card without forceware...)

p.s. I also should state that when I was installing Forceware, windows xp (media center edition) told me that it was not a microsoft verified release so i could've cause problems with my computer...but everything runs fine except what i told u guys...

thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Beta drivers should not be used whenever possible. It will lead to issues like this for which you will have no support from, well, anybody really.
Best solution is head back to the Nvidia site and download the latest official drivers for your card/chipset. Then uninstall the Beta drivers, restart the computer and install the official drivers. This should sort things out.