Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing WoW FPS....

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hey my names Chris and Ive been playing World of Warcraft for almost 2 years now. And at first my video card was fine in handling the graphics demand, but then it started to go bye bye with the numerous patches and eventually I upgraded to the video card below. I started out with an Nvidia FX 5500 256mb to now having a 7600 listed below. My problem is it just doesnt seem like the FPS (frames per second) have changed. On my old card I had to lower all the video settings to barely push 15 FPS and thats if I wasnt in a major city. When I went into a major city or a high populated area, it would drop to 8 FPS.

So after months of trying to hold out with my old card I finally broke down and bought a new Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS. I know its not the best card out there for gaming, but I figured for the prince i was paying it was probably alot better then the card I was using.

When I popped the card in last night and got everything hooked up it seemed like I had made the right choice. I did notice some slight discoloration in my screen but I could over look that. I just thought the card settings needed to be adjusted. So I went ahead and fired up WoW and to my surprise nothing had changed. I played around on the game for about 3 hours thinking that something would look better, that I could up the graphics somewhere, but unfortunately nothing. Its almost heart breaking because I would like the game to run smoothly even if its only when Im in non-populated areas. But the sad thing is Ive got the same FPS with the new card that I had with the old on.

FX 5500 256mb to 7600 GS 512mb:
You would think there is a big difference between the both of those but I havent seen anything yet. Thats why Im here hoping someone here can help me find the problem as to my declining FPS. Could it be memory, heat inside the computer, not enough hard drive what? I appreciate any help that can be offered, and if I need to download anything please let me know and I'll reply here with whatever information is need. Before I close this post I wanted to add my system specs as well:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 767 MB
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2792.6 MHz
Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512mb | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #5 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: Memorex 52MAXX 3252AJ1 | E: HP DVD Writer 640c
COM Ports: COM5 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 128.0GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 55.9GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 062204 INTEL 20040622
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Intel Corporation D865GBF
Modem: Lucent Win Modem

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
did you go through the proper process of install drivers (preferably the updated ones from nvidia.com?

What is your power supply specs? You may have to open up the computer to look at the supply to tell.