Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jst-smile

jst-smile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Helly guys,

im new here and i dont know much about computers, just basic stuff. So i was wondering if you could give me some advice/help..

OK well at the moment im currently using a MSI 649 Neo-V - motherboard - ATX - SiS649 and i want to change it to a gigabyte instead, i was surfing the net and the closest board i could fine was the Gigabyte GA-8S649MF Socket 775 DDR PCI-E mATX Motherboard HOWEVER it only supports PCI and i need a AGR slot for compatibilty for my AGP VGA card.

So i was wondering what kind of Gigabyte Motherboard i should go for and also was wondering is there a better one avalible for me?

If you have any other advice or suggestions please tell im all open..

thanks in advance =)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
An AGR Slot is MSI speak for a standard AGP port, however only certain cards work in it on MSI boards. Looking down the list of cards that it supports (http://global.msi.co...agr/7113agr.pdf ) it suggests that if you're having performance issues, its because you're using a low-end card. What graphics card are you using and what are the specs of the rest of your system?

You'll be hard pushed to find 775 boards with AGP support these days, however they are not impossible to find. Gigabyte GA-8I865GME-775 might be one such option depending on your budget and computer needs. But you will need to do a Windows Repair on it from your XP CD if you do change the board, it will most definitely blue-screen at you if you don't repair.

jst-smile

jst-smile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying, nah theres no problems i just want to go back to good old gigabyte =) so yeh you think GA-8I865GME-775 is a good choice hrm i dont know because i dont want to have to replace any other parts, just the mother board if you know what i mean? and yeh im currently a student so the cheapest option would be best for me =) with the motherboard you suggested it supports LGA775 Intel® Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 processor FSB800 with HT technology which is and sounds good however would it be compatible with all my chipset stuff eg SiS 649 or SiS 965L?

im all open to suggestions!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Even if you change the board and replace it for one with the same chipset, there's still no guarantee its going to boot straight up. You will need a Windows CD to hand in the possible situation that it'll not boot on the new board. The board I quoted is an Intel chipset and was just one I picked at random.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*troy thinks Intel chipsets = better :)

jst-smile

jst-smile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so probabilty is ill have to use the windows disc, ok understood.

Also will i have to save all my files that i want to keep when i change my mobo so they dont get deleted?

And yeh you never really told me a good Gigabyte motherboard to get any suggestions? i want one thats good for gaming, work, sound, easy to use basically an all rounder. im willing to spend under $200 aus.