Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello people,

I know how to upgrade a desktop PC, well, from trial and error but i know what i am doing :) give me a laptop however and i am clueless. Never opened one in my life. I was given a Compaq NX7400 and it has very standard memory, vga etc. 512mb etc etc you know. So i was wondering if anyone could point me in the general direction of a site where i can see how to open it and install extra memory and perhaps get a better graphics card? If that is possible on a laptop without changing the entire board. Also what is the max i can put in this thing? HP tells me 4GB, 2x2GB SODIMM slots. True?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If HP says you have upgrade to 2x2GB then I cannot see why not.
Do you know if the memory is under the keyboard or under the back panel of the laptop.
The graphics card of a laptop is not upgradeable.
James

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I'm not to sure where what is, like i said i have never in my life opened a laptop whilst a desktop is another story. I will open it sometime and have a look. Hopefully i wont break anything but i will be very careful and if i do not know something i will just stop and take it to a shop.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Upgrading memory is generally speaking a simple task, unless it's directly under the keyboard, this somewhat complicates the upgrade. Here are two guides, showing how how to upgrade your memory.

If the memory is under the back panel.
http://www.computerm...top-memory.html

If the memory is under the keyboard.
http://www.hardwares...com/article/189

Before you upgrade anything on your laptop, I highly recommend removing the battery from the laptop.

James

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks james_8970

I didn't think it was that simple. I didn't even look under the laptop :) what a fool i was... you live and learn hey.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yup, it's one of my favorite sayings.
If you need any help with the upgrade just let me know. Just letting you know, you laptop will not be able to view any more then 3.3GB of RAM under any 32bit operating systems.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 November 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok, so that was as simple as a pimple...

I unscrewed a few things, found the HDD, and then i found a empty space that said "1.8V Standard .... Foxconn" Which to me looked like a ram slot, but is it? And if so where is the other ram slot? I couldn't find it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Laptop memory is about half the physical length of desktop memory. There are laptops with only one RAM slot, but it's fairly rare. Look closer, HP might have only installed 1x1GB stick and not 2x512mb sticks. Both of the RAM moduals will be side by side, they actually overlap one another in most laptops to save additional space.
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Laptop memory is about half the physical length of desktop memory.

Not necessarily. I have seen laptops that will take standard size desktop memory. These are the exception to the rule though.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
The laptop has 512mb ram installed, i have no idea where it is, but i do see one more slot, like i explained, that says 1.8v standard. And i'm not to sure if it is a ram slot coz i'm not clued up on laptops. It is about half the length of a normal 184pin DDR ram though. Where is the 512mb installed though? surely the two ram slots should be together?