Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots up, gives quick blue flash and resets [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Last night I was working on my wife's computer, she had a storage hard drive that was going out. Well, I managed to get everything off of it and back onto her main hard drive. I disconnected the extra hard drive, reset the jumper on the main hard drive, and everything was working just fine. I even rebooted it a couple of times, just to make sure everything would work and for the time, it was.

Well, she got up this morning and tried to start up her computer and it would get to the Windows XP boot screen, and then it flashes a quick blue screen (it doesn't stay up long enough for me to be able to tell what the error is), and then resets. It keeps going through the same routine over and over, until I shut the stupid thing off.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Edited by GovtCheese, 04 November 2007 - 07:40 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Your computer is set to reboot after a "blue screen." Turn it off so that you can discover the error.

During the display of the very first screen that shows the manufacturer's logo, start tapping the F8 key about twice a second. (Not too fast, that can cause problems on some systems.)

Soon you will be presented with a black screen with white writing. I think that it is the bottom-most entry, but move the highlighting with the arrow keys to "Disable automatic restart on error."

Press the Enter key. Your computer will stop rebooting and display the contents of the blue screen error. Many common errors are described here: http://www.geekstogo...des-t43519.html I suggest that you write down everything that is shown on the error screen just as presented to aid in troubleshooting

If may be profitable to attempt to boot to either "Last known good configuration," or Safe Mode. If the problem is a driver (and many are) one of those choices may work for you.

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I did what you suggested and it's bringing up the "unmountable boot volume" error. I'll go over to that thread you linked to and see what I can do from there. I'll update here if I can't get the problem resolved.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Unmountable boot volume: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey, all the info you posted was a huge help, it's up and working just like it should.

Thanks alot, this forum and the wonderful posters that frequent this place have saved me alot of time, money, and trouble.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
:) I just love happy endings!