Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey I do some mild gaming and I am looking to get a new card because my 6600 gt burned out a while ago. I'm going to get This Card. Its PCI-E as was the 6600 gt. Just a quick question. I have This Motherboard. Will it be compatible with the new 8600 gt I plan on getting. All my logic says yes because the motherboard has a PCI-E x16 slot. But the motherboard is 2-3 years old. Figure I would ask before I purchase in case there is some new compatibilty with the directX 10 that I don't know of. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule, most cards work in most boards with the odd exception here and there. The X300 graphics card from ATI was a system builder's nightmare because most boards available to the public refused to have anything to do with it, but it faired well with the internal OEM boards. This was eventually resolved but by then the range had been superseded by the next generation anyway.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
So that's a yes? Okay, thanks...just wanted to be sure before I bought. Love this website btw, been a member since I bought my first computer 3 years ago. 17 now, and this site has been great.

Edited by Thexgene14, 04 November 2007 - 06:22 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The 8600 is not that good of a gaming card. I would recommend a cheaper DirectX 9 card that out performs the 8600. Also The 8600 has DirectX 10 but it just does not have enough juice to play them. Also You need Vista to use DirectX 10.