Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista not recognizing processor

• Please log in to reply

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I recently installed the KB940105 hotfix, which addresses physical memory issues in games. However, something strange happened when I did so. For some reason Vista no longer recognizes my processor or memory. Under system it says

Processor: Not Available
Memory: Not Available

I tried running DXDIAG, but although it recognizes the correct amount of memory, it doesn't see the processor either, although it does recognize that it is two cores. In case it makes any difference I have a core 2 duo 2.4 ghz. I tried getting rid of the hotfix, but that didn't fix the issue. I loaded up bioshock, and it runs as fast as ever, so the computer is still utilizing the processor, Vista just can't see it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When the computer starts up, is the processor correctly identified on the first screen? I ask because if its not recognised there, Vista won't recognise it either.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
You mean in the BIOS? Let me check

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hmm, I didn't see it in the BIOS, but then again I wasn't really sure where to look. However, I have this computer set up to dual boot XP and Vista, and when I loaded up XP it recognized the processor fine. It seems like this is a problem with Vista.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Any ideas?

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I could really use some help on this one. Even though I have a fairly beastly system, this error is not allowing me to use some of the higher end graphics settings in Hellgate: London.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok, I seem to have located the problem. I've read up on it, and it seems that my WMI is corrupted. I've looked around, and it seems as though this has been a known problem for a while, but that no real solutions have been discovered. If anyone here knows a way to fix this let me know, otherwise I'll just try and reinstall Vista.