Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CD Drives do not show up in Explorer

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
G/Day all, my first post.

It woul;d appear that I have the same problem as Toocool I dont think his problem and mine are fully apreciated.

My problem and I think what he is trying to say is that his CD Drive has disapeared. In my case after reinstalling Win 98 The CD Drives show up in the Bios, they show at boot up but they do not show up in explorer and they do not show up in Device Manager. My purpose in reinstaling Win98 was to upgrade to
Win XP after a new mother board install ( I bought the upgrade it was cheaper) I was previously running a doubtful copy of Win XP I had to instal Win 98 so that I could upgrade.

So there you are.. No CD Drives.. I cannot start the upgrade CD, no drives show and it will not boot its self

Any one got any idears.........................

I know where iv'e been but I havent a clue where Im going..

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried installing the CD driver from Device Manager or Control Panel's "Add New Software" ?

If Win 98 is installed ok, have you tried using the floppy boot disk to read from at boot up where you can at least get the cd driver intalled and then typing setup with the Win XP CD in?

Just some suggestions for now.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to amplify, please go to device manager

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose DEVICE MANAGER, tab.

Any YELLOW !s?