Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot into Windows XP (BSoD)

• Please log in to reply

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
If you don't understand the problem I'm describing, feel free to go here (http://www.geekstogo...ue-t175162.html). The person who made that post has the same problem I have, so maybe the way he described it makes more sense.

But anyways, I'm having a problem. Out of nowhere, my laptop is not working properly anymore. Well, I shouldn't say my laptop. More like Windows XP is not working anymore. One night, it was working fine, I shut it down fine, and the next morning when I turn it back on, Windows XP gave me this black screen saying that Windows had a problem. It said that if this is the first time it happened, to just start Windows normally but if not, to boot it on safe mode or from the last known good configuration. I tried all the options on that black screen, booting into safe mode with cmd, booting into safe mode, booting into safe mode with networking, booting normally and even booting from the last known configuration. None of these work. The safe mode puts stop at en error trying to load some .sys file (can't remember the name of it now) and when I try to boot from the last known good config or booting normally, during the Windows XP logo screen, Windows just freaks out and gives me a BSoD for like half a second and reboots again, which takes me to that black screen. If you need a picture of the BSoD, I managed to take two pictures of it with my camera so let me know if supplying that will help.

Anyways besides Windows, my computer is working fine. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem since I booted into the computer with a LiveCD from Knoppix (a linux distro) and it worked fine. I could even access my hard drive and see all of my precious data.

So, any suggestions? I really don't want to lose my data. If I could just make my USB flash drive work with that Knoppix CD, I could move all of my data to my main desktop and just format the laptop's HDD and re-install Windows. But my flash drive doesn't seem to work with my Knoppix CD. Need to install the driver on it or something? I dunno, I have no knowledge of linux whatsoever.

Any help on this will help. Again, I don't want to lose my data.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I think that this thread may be of interest: http://www.geekstogo...ts-t175623.html

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
So basically, reboot with Windows XP CD and go into the Repair Console and type chkdsk /r?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Worth a try, it worked for him.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Alright. Right after I wrote up my last post asking you if I should try the chkdsk /r thing, I did it. So it's been about half an hour and it's at 56%. So expect a reply from me in the next half hour. ^_^

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
jaimejd007,

If that does not work you can try Rebuilding the boot area of Windows XP

http://repair.tuxmas...rg/kb/entry/20/

On a side note what is your advar from.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Thanks for the help. The chkdsk /r thing on the recovery console worked. My computer is working again. Thanks for all the help 1101doc (nice name BTW).

tuxmaster, my avatar is from D.N.Angel, an anime directed by Koji Yoshikawa & Nobuyoshi Habara based on the manga by Yukiru Sugisaki. Oh and thanks for the suggestions, even though I didn't have to use them. :-)

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

P.S: Does anyone know if I lost any data (settings or whatnot) during the chkdsk?

--EDIT--
When I logged into my account, I got this error message:
"Failed to load control 'SocketXCtl' from SocketX.OCX. Your version of SocketX.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application." Oh and the title of the error message is DNS.

I'm pretty sure this problem was there before this whole mess, but does anyone know what it is?
--END OF EDIT--

Edited by jaimejd007, 04 November 2007 - 11:59 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
jaimejd007,

Mostlikely not but it is a possibility.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
What? That I lost settings? I think not, but can someone please give me a definitive answer?

Also about the problem mentioned in my edited section, when I look at the taskbar, the logo that is shown next to the title (DNS) is the logo of MSN. The MSN butterfly or whatever. Dunno if that helps for something...

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

P.S: I could take a screenshot if needed.

Edited by jaimejd007, 05 November 2007 - 12:03 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
jaimejd007,

Due to the nature of the fix nobody is able to give you a definitive answer on if you lost data. There is a risk yes but a very small risk that you should not worry about and it only happens in rare cases.

Advertisements

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well after a couple of minutes of messing around with my laptop (browsing the web, opening docs, opening apps) it seems to be working normally so I don't think I lost any file or setting so it's all good. Tried going into the Windows Update website though, and I'm getting an error:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

Hax. O_O

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

---EDIT---
Never mind, fixed the Windows Update problem. Just added the Windows Update website to my list of "trusted websites" inside of IE. *sighs* Stupid IE7. Fx 2.0 ftw!

So anyways, anyone have any idea about my other problem? The SocketX.OCX thing? I can provide a screenshot...
---END of EDIT---

Edited by jaimejd007, 05 November 2007 - 12:23 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad to hear that you're up and running. The 'SocketXCtl' thing sounds to me like a game function. Perhaps you need an update/upgrade?

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yeah, up and running because of you! Thank you so much! :-D

Anyways....update what? I just ran Windows Update, no critical updates needed.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Edited by jaimejd007, 05 November 2007 - 12:30 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Just googled the SocketX.OCX issue and discovered that it is a 'left-over' from malware removal. Should itself be removed or un-registered. Look at this: http://episteme.arst.../m/675006225831

Tons of hits for SocketX.OCX:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=SocketX.OCX&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Might also want to get Socketlock from GRC: http://www.grc.com/dos/sockettome1.htm