Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot into Windows XP (BSoD)

• Please log in to reply

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It's funny, I applied for Geek U a couple of days before this whole mess with my laptop happened. Never got a reply, though. I guess I wasn't good enough. :-(

I will make sure to hang around though, hopefully I'll learn a lot of stuff. I can't believe you just started using computers for the first time a year and some months ago. That's pretty crazy, you have attained a lot of knowledge in a very short amount of time. Very good work. ^_^

BTW, isn't it dangerous to set processing priority higher than normal? Or is that just Windows lying to me? O_O

I'm actually planning on formatting my desktop's HDD and re-installing XP from scratch so as soon as I do that I will be sure to make a back-up of my registry using ERUNT. Should I make a back-up of my registry every time I change something in it, though? (like installing a new program) or should I just keep that original back-up from a fresh install?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I have ERUNT set to make a backup at each first boot of the day. Then I make manual backups as needed. It's always better to have backups and not need them than it is to need backups and not have them!

Windows isn't 'lying' about the risk of increased priority, but if you have stablized your system and understand the running processes, "Above Normal' is just enough to use the browser without too much lag. 'High' can put a stress on the system, and I stay away from 'Real Time' altogether.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
How did you learn the stuff about raising the priority of processes and the risks they may cause? I need to learn this kind of stuff. :-P

So you have like a repository of ERUNT back-ups in your computer? How much space do they take up?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Erunt autobackup saves only the last 30 days-1 for each day. I have a folder of specially named backups as well. Altogether, just a few megs.

How did I learn? Just kept investigating. Reading the forums. Following links to referenced articles. AND. Taking everything with a big grain of salt before I applied changes to my system.

Above all, I want a stable system. I have learned to live with most of XP's defaults rather than destabilize it with 'customizations.' After all, what do I really want? Stability and performance, or eye candy and widgets? Ummm... let me think, here...

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I guess I'll stick around and keep reading forum topics, then. Gotta learn all I can, right?

But yeah, thanks a lot for all the help. I appreciate it a lot. Feel free to lock this topic now and call it resolved. If I have any further problems, I'll be sure to make a new topic. ^_^

Any suggestions on what forums inside of GtG I should frequent to learn stuff? I was thinking to this sub-forum, the Windows XP/2000/2003/NT one.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Edited by jaimejd007, 05 November 2007 - 07:48 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Also take a read:
http://www.geekstogo...ations-f12.html
http://www.geekstogo...orials-f99.html

And don't forget to investigate the URLs I provide in my Vox. Just copy and paste to your browser address bar.