Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Receiving Landline Phone calls on my PC

• Please log in to reply

Chosen

Chosen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, I have been searching for a free way to answer my phone calls on my pc (by connecting my landline to my modem) I have tried searching for some, but all I have found is VOIP software.
any help is appreciated.
thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Voice generally means that the modem is capable, with appropriate software, of supporting telephone answering machine functions: the modem can 'record' and 'play' to the Windows wave device. The answering machine software will also use the sound card on the machine to play and record. The software may also include functions to dial or answer calls using your sound card's microphone and speakers or headphones.

To place and recieve calls there is nothing better than a standard phone (POTS: plain old telephone service).

I did find a post here: http://forum.skype.c...php/t75238.html
He makes sure you know there are several caveats. IT's hard to setup and use. Requires some technical expertise and may cost $$$ to obtain/support.

On the other hand you could switch to VOIP service and still use your old telephone number. Depending on who provides the service you may get 911 or you may not. Cable and phone companies tie your phone # and address. Places like Vonage do not.

Then there is skype. they offer a range of services.

Chosen

Chosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
any suggestions about how to simply plug my landline into my computer to intercept my phone calls (just to answer them and use my headset to talk and use the computer instead of running out of my office and trying to find the phone:D) thx

(if you dont understand what im getting at just ask me. ill try to explain it better if that doesnt work :))

cheers

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Would it not be far easier to just invest in a twin cordless phone setup, plug the base in at the socket and plug the second phone in by your computer, bearing in mind it only needs to be able to talk to the base unit and doesn't need a physical connection?

I'm sorry but it seems you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here whereas a cordless phone sounds like it may solve your problems (plus you'll be able to make and receive calls when the computer isn't on).

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 November 2007 - 06:40 AM.

Newwjakk

Newwjakk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm interested in the same thing. The Windows Dialer program is not really applicable since it only receives calls through video conferencing. The issue isn't to use a cordless phone or speaker phone...I don't want either when I'm on my computer. I have Caller ID software on my computer through an old modem that tells me (literally, with voice synthesization) the name and number of the party calling me. Instead of leaving my computer to answer the phone, I'd like to be able to click an icon and talk through a headset. There should be an easy solution through software to accomplish this. I will keep searching.

dustydusty

dustydusty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this feature on my first PC. That was a Gateway back in late 90s or early 2000s. I plugged the cord from the wall into the modem. On screen there was a dial pad. Calls went through my computer speakers and computer mic. The program also took messages when I did not answer. I don't remember the name, but have been looking for this type of program again the last few years. I am about ready to dig through my old cd roms looking for the old program. I would think something would be available today, but so far I can't find anything out there.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you might look into Majic Jack. While this doesn't user your land line, it will allow you to use standard telephones and even have a standard telephone number. I'm considering getting this myself. I do know a few people who have it and say it works great. Problem is that I don't have any pots telephones around anymore. I've been a cell only user for about 10 years.

dlangley

dlangley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you solved this problem?

I need to do the same thing.

I need to record a tele-training class on my pc which is taking place via a landline.

Please advise

Thank you

Eric F

Eric F

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It's been 2 months - if you still need a suggestion, I think you could use Roxio Easy Media Creator's audio capture to capture the in-bound audio as it is played through your sound card. You would need to use Skype or something like it to dial-in to the conference; Skype would play the proceedings through your sound card, so you could record them with Roxio.

lawfca

lawfca

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Would it not be far easier to just invest in a twin cordless phone setup, plug the base in at the socket and plug the second phone in by your computer, bearing in mind it only needs to be able to talk to the base unit and doesn't need a physical connection?

I'm sorry but it seems you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here whereas a cordless phone sounds like it may solve your problems (plus you'll be able to make and receive calls when the computer isn't on).

Neil, wouldn't it be far more intelligent to have simply said that you do not know; rather than trying to change his mind. I doubt it's as if he doesn't know that cordless phones exist. The question is actually one that I have as well. Given the fact that my business is fast paced & some of us actually type & multi-task while talking, an option which allows us to answer the land line call via the modem would be more efficient. If anyone has an actual answer or workable suggestion to the initial question...please let us all know.

Kind Regards,

lawfca

Advertisements

SugarMountain

SugarMountain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This answer is a little late. This doesn't fit the requirement of being "free", but it's not too expensive. You might try Call Soft or Call Soft Pro ( http://www.mycallsoft.com ). I use it as an answering machine on my pc for my landline phone, but it also has answer and call functions. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in quite a long time, so I'm not sure if it can be used with Vista ( I use XP Pro ). There's a 30 day free evaluation period so it'll cost nothing to see if it fits your needs.

maranello

maranello

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Have you solved this problem?

I need to do the same thing.

I need to record a tele-training class on my pc which is taking place via a landline.

Please advise

Thank you

You can buy a device that connects to your telephone line and records the calls directly to your PC.

Here is a USB phone recorder that connects to the telephone line in parallel (high-impedance):
http://phonerecordin...-1-channel.html

It comes bundled with easy to use software with convenient user interface for listening of recordings:
Posted Image

superdave777

superdave777

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, I have been searching for a free way to answer my phone calls on my PC (by connecting my land line to my modem) I have tried searching for some, but all I have found is VOIP software.
any help is appreciated.
thanks

I did have software that would do that back in the 80s... and used it all the time , it was great and free.

For some reason it has been eliminated completely. Probably because of Internet phone service.

Example...........
I could make phone calls or answer phone call on my computer. via my land line....

Anybody know why this software has been eliminated ??

pawprint

pawprint

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Gateway used to provide a couple.
Megaphone is still available

Megaphone
http://www.bingsoftw...om/products.htm

BVRP Phone tools
I'm not sure if this is the same one

BVRP Phone Tools
http://www.avanquest...CFSFy5QodPBzvEA

Both work with XP but are not free.

androidx219

androidx219

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Everybody,

I am too in need for the same setup. I am searching for this for last few years and yet not able to find any way out. Everytime I search I end up with stupid voip results. Once My mom was in a conversation with my aunt from the landline phone and I unknowingly dialled to my ISP through my 56k modem ( the only option available for internet those days) which was attached to the phone in parallel and I was able to hear the conversation in my speakers, so I thought that it would be cool to answer and make calls from the PC itself with a mic. But every time I tried to make calls from any dialer software, I could only hear the person shouting Hello.. Hello.. from the other end, and he was never able to hear my voice. The reason I think for this kind of error was that any 56k modems which I ever had were all half-duplex voice modems and I believe that any full-duplex voice modem could do the job, but I never found any full-duplex voice modem in my small city so that I could test this hypothesis. I also know that people have used their modems to make and recive calls on their PCs.

If any of you guys ever succeed in finding the solution of this problem, please reply to this thread or send me a private message/email

Thank You